Orangeburg’s Treadwell Street Historic District contains the intact sections of an early twentieth century African American neighborhood.
According to local residents, this neighborhood was one of the most well-to-do African American neighborhoods in the city.
The 1920-1921 Orangeburg City Directory lists residents of the area as laborers or tradesmen, with some professionals and businessmen living in the neighborhood.
Dr. Henry Rowe, a physician and druggist, and the Rev. Nelson C. Nix, pastor of Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church and South Carolina State dean, were among the area’s residents.
Dr. A.J. Pierce, a professor at S.C. State, lived at 358 Treadwell, where Mrs, Pierce ran a school.
The district contains approximately forty buildings, all but one of which were originally residences.
The majority of the buildings were constructed between 1890 and 1930 and are set on small lots planted with bushes, trees and lawns.
Most of the houses are one-story, weatherboard frame, with simple design, including Victorian and bungalow.
The houses, which are located between the 100 block and 300 block of the street, were listed in the National Register in September 1985.
The National Register of Historic Places is made up of properties local citizens have deemed significant in our nation’s past.