The Southern Conference announced the league’s 14-game football package with for the 2014 season. Eight games will appear on ESPN3, while an additional six games will be available on the newly formed American Sports Network, an initiative launched by the Sinclair Broadcast Group.
In addition to the league’s partnership with ESPN3, the conference has reached an agreement for a diverse broadcast package with ASN. As part of the agreement, a minimum of 18 Southern Conference events are tentatively scheduled to be shown on broadcast television affiliates throughout the southeast, including six football games during the upcoming season. Sinclair’s broadcast stations will carry the games as part of their primary program lineup on affiliates throughout the Conference’s footprint.
The overall TV package begins with the first Conference game of the season on Sept. 6 when Furman travels to face Mercer. That game will be Mercer’s first contest as a Southern Conference program.
The broadcast schedule runs for 10 consecutive weeks beginning Sept. 20 when VMI visits Samford. Furman will host Western Carolina, while Samford travels to Chattanooga in a double-header that will air on ASN Sept. 27. The final weekend of the regular season also features two games, including the Military Classic of the South, when The Citadel visits VMI. The 2014 matchup will be the 70th meeting between the two schools. That game will air on ESPN3 while Chattanooga visits Furman in a game that can be seen on the Sinclair affiliates. The Mocs and Paladins were Southern Conference tri-champions with Samford in 2013.
Darren Goldwater returns to handle primary play-by-play duties for the league’s broadcasts. The 2014-15 year will mark Goldwater’s fourth year on the conference package after three years as director of broadcasting and play-by-play announcer for The Citadel.
Former NFL linebacker Corey Miller will handle the color commentary duties. Miller, who currently serves as sports anchor and host with WACH-TV in Columbia, played collegiately at the University of South Carolina before spending nine years with the New York Giants and Minnesota Vikings.
2014 Southern Conference Football Broadcast Schedule
- Sept. 6 Furman at Mercer 6:00 p.m. ESPN3
- Sept. 20 VMI at Samford 3:00 p.m. ESPN3
- Sept. 27 Western Carolina at Furman 3:30 p.m. ASN
- Sept. 27 Samford at Chattanooga 7:00 p.m. ASN
- Oct. 4 The Citadel at Wofford 1:30 p.m. ESPN3
- Oct. 11 Wofford at Western Carolina 3:30 p.m. ESPN3
- Oct. 18 Chattanooga at The Citadel 1:00 p.m. ASN
- Oct. 25 Mercer at Chattanooga 12:00 p.m. ASN
- Nov. 1 Furman at VMI 1:30 p.m. ESPN3
- Nov. 8 Wofford at Chattanooga 1:00 p.m. ESPN3
- Nov. 8 Western Carolina at Samford 3:00 p.m. ASN
- Nov. 15 Wofford at Furman 12:00 p.m. ESPN3
- Nov. 22 The Citadel at VMI 1:30 p.m. ESPN3
- Nov. 22 Chattanooga at Furman 3:30 p.m. ASN