Youth raccoon hunts sponsored by the S.C. Coon Hunters Association and participating regional clubs and chapters began in October and continue throughout the fall and winter, culminating with the South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship, hosted by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources.
The championship hunt is scheduled for March 7, 2020, and will be held at the SCDNR’s Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County.
The regional club-sponsored hunts are all qualifying events for the state championship and are designed to teach the participants ethics and sportsmanship through participation in low-intensity competitive events.
The top two hunters in each age bracket (Juniors: 12 and under, and Seniors: 13-17) and the Sportsmanship Award winners in each age group will qualify for the state championship hunt.
Competitors in the series are allowed to hunt in as many regional youth hunts as they choose, and all events are free of charge.
In accordance with competition hunt rules, no raccoons are killed during the competition and guns are not allowed on the hunt. Interested youth hunters and their parents or guardians should contact the sponsoring clubs for information regarding specific hunts.
Each hunter is responsible for bringing a dog to the hunts, and need to be able, with minimal assistance from an adult, to acknowledge when his or her dog “strikes” and “trees.” Points are awarded by judges based upon the order that the contestants interpret their dogs’ barks to identify when the dogs strike a raccoons’ trail and when their dogs have treed a raccoon.
Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring clubs for information regarding specific hunts and to sign up:
- Nov. 2 -- Red Hill Houndsmen. Hunt Address: 757 North Martintown Road, Edgefield, SC 29824. Contact Person: Wayne Agner Jr. 803-215-9911
- Nov. 9 -- Saluda County CHA. Hunt Address: 285 Old Andrew Coleman Road, Saluda, SC 29138. Contact Person: Wayne Agner 803-637-6219
- Dec. 7 -- Lancaster County CHA. Hunt Address: 2891 South Rocky River Road, Heath Springs, SC 29058. Contact Person: Joel Hinson 803-283-7815
- Dec. 14 -- Hell Hole Swamp. CHA Hunt Address: 5681 Walker Road, Georgetown, SC 29440. Contact Person: Floyd Lambert 843-344-1528. UKC State Youth Championshi
- Jan. 11 -- Orangeburg County CHA. Hunt Address: 510 Holstein Road, Bowman, SC 29018. Contact Person: Doug Shuler 803-682-0418
- Jan. 25 -- Norway CHA. Hunt Address: 2811 Bonnette Road, Norway, SC 29133. Contact Person: Mendell Miller, 803-707-1861
- Feb. 1 -- Whitmire CHA. Hunt Address: 18193 Hwy 176, Newberry, SC 29108. Contact Person: Steven Cromer, (803) 944-2255. AKC State Youth Championship
- Feb. 8 -- Summerville CHA. Hunt Address: 200 Coon Hunters Lane, Ridgeville, SC 29472. Contact Person: Ed Kimmons 843-619-5265
Be the first to know
Get local news delivered to your inbox!