National Library was celebrated recently across the United States. Orangeburg’s first library was the endeavor of a group of civic minded ladies that was called the Dixie Club. It was started in 1896 by Mrs. Harry Wannamaker, Sr. as a book club. By 1899 they had accumulated so many books, that they started a library service for the citizens of Orangeburg. For many years they encouraged the county government to establish a public library for the well-being of our citizens. When this finally materialized in 1936, they donated over 25,000 books to help stock the new public library. After that they continued on a small basis for a few more years. Picture above is Miss Mae Riggs, their long-time librarian in 1939. In 1911 Miss Riggs was paid the princely sum of $10 a month by the Dixie Club ladies to be their on-site librarian. Additionally these civic minded ladies helped sponsor local carnivals, the Chautauqua, and the Camp for Colored Girls.