Orangeburg Out of the Past

Main Building and Offices, c. 1954.  The Methodist Home for the Aging was the brainchild of Rev. J.F. M. Hoffmeyer. Beginning in the 1940s he implored the South Carolina Methodist  Church’s governing body, the Annual Conference, to start  a retirement home for Methodist senior citizens. It a…

Baseball has always been a favorite pastime in Orangeburg. This 1907 picture shows an Orangeburg all-star team that played other city all-star teams in the South Carolina League. Front row: DeArmond, umpire; Lawford, pitcher; Rickard, right field; and Lawrence Thackston, pitcher. Second Row:…

Dr. Harlowe Caldwell, 1959:  Dr. Harlowe Caldwell, a well- known dentist in Orangeburg, is shown here receiving the first Life Membership in the South Carolina NAACP in 1959. Left to Right: Rev. Matthew McCollom, Mrs. Harry Belafonte, Dr. Caldwell, and Rev. I. DeQuincy Newman. 

Orangeburg Festival of Roses 2000: These young performers at the Orangeburg Festival of Roses in 2000 are now young adults possibly with children of their own soon to become festival performers. The show goes on. The 47th annual Festival of Roses from May 3-6 will feature a wealth of enterta…

Branchville tornado 10 years ago: All the ingredients came together the night of March 15, 2008, for what weather officials called a perfect storm. Two of the twisters struck locally, one causing heavy damage in Branchville. The 150-mph tornado caused an estimated $2.2 million in insured and…

Orangeburg High School Golf Team, 1949: Pictured here are the members of the 1949 Orangeburg High School golf team. Left to Right: Bobby Boswell, Hank Mirmow, Tim Castleberry, and Ralph Irick. 

The first Masters: In 2001, then-Clemson President Dr. Jim Barker, left, presented Orangeburg Department of Public Utilities Director Emeritus Alan McC. Johnstone with a photograph of Clemson’s first golf team, of which Johnstone was a member. Johnstone, who died in 2006 at age 95, also held…

Edisto Memorial Gardens, 1950s:  The beautiful Edisto Memorial Gardens have graced Orangeburg for the last 90 years. The graceful splendor as seen here in the azalea garden in the 1950s has soothed the emotions of many visitors all through the years. Back in the 1950s the number of visitors …

1967: Claflin President Dr. Hubert V. Manning, first on right, played host to Benjamin F. Hooks (center), NAACP executive director, and Dr. M. Maceo Nance, left, president of South Carolina State College, at a special Founders’ Day program held at Claflin. This photo by Cecil Williams is fro…

Aerial View of Downtown Orangeburg, Mid to Late 1960s:  Downtown Orangeburg was a vibrant hub of activity when this aerial photograph was taken in the mid to late 1960s. The Square, officially known as Memorial Plaza, is in the upper left center area. Russell Street with the blocks on either…

Girls dorm at Claflin burns in 1955: The Mary E. Dunton Hall at Claflin was gutted by an early morning fire of suspicious origin on Feb. 6, 1955. Of this photo from his book “Freedom & Justice,” Orangeburg photographer Cecil Williams writes: “I was awakened about 4 a.m. by sirens and an …

Howards and Nances, 1968: Pictured above at a black tie social function in 1968 are the Robert Howards and the Maceo Nances. Dr. Howard was the legendary principal of Wilkinson High School as well as the Assistant Superintendent of School District Five for many years. Dr. Nance was the renow…

Aerial view of Orangeburg-Wilkinson High School and Orangeburg Mall, circa 1972: Pictured is an aerial view of the Orangeburg-Wilkinson High School campus and the Orangeburg Mall area from around 1972. O-W was formed with the merger of the old Orangeburg High School and the Wilkinson High Sc…

Orangeburg School Board, 1939: The local school board in Orangeburg oversaw all the school operations and finances for the school district. Pictured here is the 1939 Orangeburg City School Board: Front row: James M. Green, Wallace C. Bethea(Chairman), Mrs. Harry(Lilla) Wannamaker, Sr. Back r…

Cleveland Sellers and his son Bakari were in the national spotlight this past week amid the observance of the 50th anniversary of the Orangeburg Massacre. Beyond 1968, Dr. Cleveland Sellers went on to a career culminating in the presidency of Voorhees College in Denmark. Bakari Sellers becam…

National Honor Society, Orangeburg High School, 1939: The charter for the first National Honor Society at Orangeburg High School was issued in 1939. Members were elected on four major characteristics: scholarship, leadership, character, and service. Here is the inaugural membership group in …

New River Pavilion Construction, 1950: A new river pavilion was constructed at the swimming area at the Edisto River back in 1950. This facility replaced the outdated original pavilion that was constructed around 1930. This new pavilion was designed by City Engineer Alec Brown, who also supe…

Mid-1960s: Shelly Thomas, first on left, and Ulysses Jarvis, far right, entertained the Orangeburg community with their special brand of jazz and popular music. This photo is from “Orangeburg 1968: A Place And Time Remembered,” a book by noted civil rights photographer Cecil Williams.

  • 0

Orangeburg High School Girls’ Basketball Team, 1947: Pictured above is the 1947 girls’ basketball team at Orangeburg High School. This team was coached by Miss Lois Shuler. Left to Right: Front Row: Joan Bryant, Frances Ann Cox, Harriet Whisenhunt, Joyce Jackson, Kathleen Tyler. Second Row: …

  • 0

1968: S.C. State President Dr. and Mrs. M. Maceo Nance, right, enjoy a Christmas formal in the student center accompanied by Dr. and Mrs. Robert E. Howard. The event was sponsored by Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. The photo by Cecil Williams is from his book, “Orangeburg 1968: A Place and Time Re…

  • 0

Sunshine Pre-School Christmas Party with Santa Claus, December, 1951: In the days before public kindergarten existed there were several private pre-schools or kindergartens around Orangeburg. Shown here are the Sunshine Pre-School students at their Christmas Party with Santa Claus in Decembe…

  • 0

1968: A group of men at Trinity United Methodist Church represents many of the most influential movers and shakers in the Orangeburg community. Trinity, located across from South Carolina State and Claflin universities, was the headquarters for the Civil Rights Movement in Orangeburg. The ph…

  • 0

Orangeburg High School Music Teachers, 1963: C. Frederic Ulmer and Pop Gentry were the legendary music teachers at Orangeburg High School for a number of years. They educated hundreds of students during their high school music careers. Mr. Ulmer, the voice teacher, was famous for the annual …

  • 0

Acclaimed Orangeburg photographer Cecil Williams has a new book, “Unforgettable: A Time of Life Hope Bravery,” featuring images from 1950 and beyond. Of this photo from 1955, Williams writes: “James E. Sulton raises his fist symbolizing his determination to battle for freedom and justice. He…

  • 0

“When It Rains It Snores,” 1964: So read the headline above this picture on June 26, 1964 in The Times and Democrat. There was a heavy rainfall in Orangeburg just before this picture was taken, thus no one was brave enough to go out and be rained upon. So at the Brickle and Wiles Barbershop,…

  • 0

Acclaimed Orangeburg photographer Cecil Williams has a new book, “Unforgettable: A Time of Life Hope Bravery,” featuring images from 1950 and beyond. In this photo from Jan. 3, 1963, civil rights leaders prepare to take part in the inauguration of South Carolina Gov. Donald S. Russell. From …

  • 0

Punt, Pass, and Kick Winners, 1968: Ford Motor Company sponsored a youth football program entitled “Punt, Pass, and Kick” in the 1960s. It entailed age brackets for ages 8 through 13 years old, where each contestant received so many points for the length of each of their punts, passes, and k…

  • 0

Acclaimed Orangeburg photographer Cecil Williams has a new book, “Unforgettable: A Time of Life Hope Bravery,” featuring images from 1950 and beyond. This photo from 1964 shows Kenneth Kaunda, left, president of Zambia, with the Rev. Matthew D. McCollom, a central figure in the Orangeburg ci…

  • 0

Coach Geb Runager, Orangeburg High Football State Champions, 1960: Pictured above is Orangeburg High School Football coach Geb Runager hoisted on his players’ shoulders after winning the South Carolina AA Football Championship in 1960. Orangeburg High played Easley High on a cold day in Easl…

  • 0

S.C. State law school: Acclaimed Orangeburg photographer Cecil Williams has a new book, “Unforgettable: A Time of Life Hope Bravery,” featuring images from 1950 and beyond. This photo is titled “South Carolina State College of Law/1947-1966. Williams writes: “The South Carolina State College…

  • 0

Orangeburg County Fair Midway Scene, 1913. The Orangeburg  County Fair Association was formed in 1911, with the first fair held in November of that year. Prior to that, similar festivities were held as the Orangeburg Agricultural and Mechanical Fair in the late 1800s and then the annual Fall…

  • 0

Orangeburg High School Band, late 1940s: The Orangeburg High School Band is shown here during a parade on Russell Street in the late 1940s. Horne Motors and the Orangeburg Auto Exchange in the background, both large car dealerships in Orangeburg in that era, are in today's location of Palmet…

  • 0

Acclaimed Orangeburg photographer Cecil Williams has a new book, “Unforgettable: A Time of Life Hope Bravery,” featuring images from 1950 and beyond. Of this July 1955 photo, Williams writes: “Sulton Esso Gas Station on East Russell Street was located in the heart of the Black community. Own…

  • 0

Football at Wilkinson High: Acclaimed Orangeburg photographer Cecil Williams has a new book, “Unforgettable: A Time of Life Hope Bravery,” featuring images from 1950 and beyond. Of this photo from 1954, Williams writes: “Sports are big with high schools and Wilkinson High School always devel…

  • 0

Back to School, c. 1951: This is the time of the year when schools start their new academic year. Pictured above is Miss Louise Sullins’ first grade class at Mellichamp Elementary School around 1951. The students can be seen here busily at work. 

  • 0

Orangeburg High School Football Team, 1946:  Pictured above is the 1946 Orangeburg High School football team. At that time Orangeburg High School was located on Sellers Avenue, and their football games were played at the football stadium at the fairgrounds. The players are identified in the …

  • 0

Orangeburg is an area with a rich history. Each Sunday, photographs complete with that information appear in print on our “Advice Plus” page in the feature "Orangeburg Out Of The Past." Now, The Times and Democrat brings you these photographs weekly in an online format. Look for them here.

  • 0

Orangeburg High School Mascots, 1960: For many years the senior class at Orangeburg High School chose a young boy and a young girl to be their class mascots. In 1960 they chose Max Runager and Cathy Morgan to be their mascots. Max died recently after a storied career in football. He was cons…

  • 0

Count Basie Orchestra, circa 1972: The world famous Count Basie Orchestra was formed in 1935 in Kansas City by William “Count” Basie. Since then it has travelled the world many times over. Considered one of the best jazz bands ever, it has played before Kings, Queens, and at U.S. presidentia…

  • 0

Orangeburg photographer Cecil Williams has a new book, “Unforgettable: A Time of Life Hope Bravery,” featuring images from 1950 and beyond. Orangeburg and events approaching 40th and 50th anniversaries are prominently featured in the book illustrating African-American history, heritage and c…

  • 0

Mrs. Lucile Sims’ Kindergarten Class, c. 1932: Before the advent of public school kindergartens, the only kindergarten classes were privately run. This is a circa 1932 picture of Mrs. Lucile Sims’ private kindergarten class. She was the wife of Hugo S. Sims, who was the editor of The Times a…

  • 0

Robert Lide, 1871-1944: Eminent lawyer, statesman, banker, and philanthropist, Robert Lide has been a solid rock in Orangeburg’s history. Mr. Lide was born in 1871 to Rev. Thomas P. and Martha H. Lide in Greenville. Because of his father’s ministry, he grew up in several different towns in N…

Orangeburg Calhoun Technical College, 1969: The Orangeburg Calhoun Technical College began operations in 1967, and the campus was dedicated in May 1969. The first president was Charles P. Weber. Through the years it has provided technical education, industrial training, academic courses and …

South Carolina State University Graduation, 1942: Recently it has been graduation time for many colleges. Pictured above is the Class of 1942 that received their diplomas at the graduation ceremonies at South Carolina State University.

Shuler and Smoak, 1928: For many years Shuler and Smoak supplied Orangeburg area farmers and gardeners with their feeds, seeds and fertilizers. They were located on St. John Street between the Orangeburg County Jail and Middleton Street. Pictured above are several employees in front of the s…

Student Nursing Class of 1928: This past week has been National Nurses Week. From 1919 to 1988 the Regional Medical Center conducted a school of nursing. It was the last three-year nursing diploma program in South Carolina when it closed in 1988. Pictured above is the 1928 class at their gra…

Peoples Baking Co., 1937: The Peoples Baking Company started out as the Ayers Bakery in the 1920s on Broughton Street. When it was acquired by Robert H. Jennings, Sr. and Perry Smoak in the 1930s, it became the People’s Bakery. Later it was known as Palmetto Baking Co., and its main products…

Sheridan School, c. 1940: The Sheridan School, known originally as the “New Graded School,” was built on Ellis Avenue in 1905 for the students in the northern area of town. Unfortunately it was destroyed by fire on a very cold night on January 15, 1946. Today the administrative building for …

Library Bookmobile circa 1956: Recently National Library Week was celebrated. The Orangeburg County Library has had a bookmobile service for many years serving the citizens of Orangeburg County. Here is a picture from circa 1956 when the bookmobile was making a stop at one of the local eleme…

Orangeburg’s First Hospital: In this 1924 photograph, the nursing staff and nursing students pose in front of Orangeburg’s first hospital on Glover Street near the intersection with Broughton Street. This building was built around 1890 as a dormitory for the Orangeburg Collegiate Institute, …

Dr. Maceo Nance, circa 1980: Dr. Maceo Nance was the legendary president of South Carolina State University from 1967 to 1986. Facing many challenges, his leadership, wisdom, and diplomatic skills propelled him to being one of the most outstanding presidents that S.C State has ever experienc…

The Methodist Home for the Aging, circa 1954: he Methodist Home for the Aging was the brainchild of Rev. J.F.M. Hoffmeyer. Beginning in the 1940s he implored the South Carolina Methodist Church’s governing body, the South Carolina Annual Conference, to start a retirement home for Methodist s…

Orangeburg Firemen, circa 1954: The City of Orangeburg has provided the fire service for Orangeburg since 1920, when it took over the local fire service from all the volunteer fire departments. This picture shows the members of the Orangeburg Fire Department around 1954. From left to right a…

First Baptist Church, 1909: A rare Orangeburg snowfall graces the grounds of the First Baptist Church in 1909. The church parsonage is the building on the right. 

Dr. Henry Frierson, 1960: Pictured here is Dr. Henry Frierson baking the sausages at the first Rotary Club Pancake Supper fundraiser in 1960. Sadly Dr. Frierson died recently after a lifetime of serving others. For many years Dr. Henry Frierson has served many needs in Orangeburg. As a surge…

Dean Livingston, Publisher, The Times and Democrat, circa 1966: From the time he was a small boy, Dean Livingston always wanted to be a newspaperman. He became the Publisher of The Times and Democrat in 1962 and held that position for 37 years until his retirement in 1999. One of the greates…

Belk Hudson Employees, circa 1966: The Belk Hudson chain of stores began with the opening of the Orangeburg department store in 1931 by Mr. E.O. Hudson. Over the years this department store business grew to 22 stores located in several states. Pictured above are the Orangeburg store employee…

Wilkinson Girls’ Basketball Team, 1952: Pictured is the girls’ basketball team from Wilkinson High School in 1952. Among the players are: Forwards: Albertha Sistrunk, Rebecca Mack, Yevola Smith, Rosaland Tillie, Geneva Glover, Oneathea Glover, Francena Dickson, Elease Hampton, Martha Howard.…

Orangeburg County Officials, 1915: The elected officials of Orangeburg County are pictured here in January of 1915. Left to Right: Absalom D. Fair, the County Treasurer; G. Lawrence Salley, the Clerk of Court; A. McQueen Salley, the Sheriff; and Andrew C. Dibble, the Judge of Probate. Most o…

Girls’ Basketball Team, 1937: The young ladies who comprised the girls’ basketball team at Orangeburg High School in 1937 are shown above. Left to Right: First Row: Jane Crum, Nonie Livingston, Jane Martin, Julia DeMars, Myrtis Spahr, Mary Moran, Unidentified. Second Row: Beatrice Hasse, Pat…

Orangeburg High School Football Team, 1948: The starting offensive lineup for the 1948 Orangeburg High School football team is show here. Quarterback Johnny Gramling went on to star at the University of South Carolina where he set several school records. Sadly Johnny Gramling died last week …

Civil Rights Movement, circa 1962: Today is the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King. He inspired the Civil Rights Movement during the 1950s and 1960s. During this time, many Freedom Marches were conducted protesting segregation. Pictured here are some Orangeburg leaders conducting one of thes…

The new river pavilion on the Edisto River is shown here in the construction phase in 1950. It was designed by City Engineer Alec Brown, who also supervised its construction. This building replaced an earlier wooden building that had outlived its usefulness. For the last 30 years the Orangeb…

Geraldyne P. Zimmerman, 1911-2011: Mrs. Gerry Zimmerman has probably been one of the most prolific civic leaders Orangeburg has known. Her untiring efforts guiding the lives of children and young women were unparalleled. Born in 1911 in Orangeburg to James Arthur Pierce and Hazel Tatnall Pie…

Orangeburg High School Mixed Chorus, circa 1958: Mr. C. Frederic Ulmer was the renowned director of the Orangeburg High School Mixed Chorus for many years. During the 1950s and early 1960s, the Mixed Chorus would perform live on WIS-TV every Christmas Day singing Christmas carols. Mr. Ulmer …

Wallace C. Bethea, 1894-1982: This past Thursday, December 15, 2016, Wallace Carlisle Bethea was inducted posthumously into the Orangeburg County Business Hall of Fame. The imprint that he established on Orangeburg’s economy through the years was legendary. Mr. Bethea’s foresight with econom…

Dr. John Perreyclear, late 1890s: Dr. John Perreyclear was an early dentist in Orangeburg, practicing in the late 1800s and early 1900s. This photograph from the 1890s shows him standing on the bridge over the Edisto River into Orangeburg that was located where today’s footbridge at the Oran…

Pearl Harbor: The 75th anniversary of the horrible surprise attack by Japan at Pearl Harbor will occur this coming Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2016. This picture that was taken at Pearl Harbor in 2002 is very significant. The USS Arizona Memorial in the background signifies that fateful day in 1941 w…

Orangeburg Students at Clemson, circa 1913: This picture showcases the Orangeburg County students at Clemson A&M College (now Clemson University) around 1913. Those identified are: left to right: first row: Warren Scoville, John Pearson, Theo Boone, Unidentified, …Boyleston, Unidentified…

JFK and South Carolina Newspaper Publishers, 1963: November 22 this week will be the 53rd anniversary of the tragic death of President John F. Kennedy. On April 4, 1963 President John F. Kennedy invited the publishers of South Carolina’s newspapers to The White House for a reception, lunch i…

Sunday, November 13, 2016: Local Militia on Parade, circa 1917: As we celebrate Veterans’ Day to honor all those who have served in our country’s military to protect the freedoms that we enjoy, this photograph is an example of those who have served. This is thought to be the local militia on…

Southern Railroad Passenger Station: Before the advent of automobiles, railroads provided much of the passenger and cargo traffic between towns. The passenger station for the Southern Railroad, known then as the South Carolina Railroad and pictured here, was located at the intersection of Ru…

Orangeburg High School Football Team, 1970: This is the last football team under the name of Orangeburg High School back in 1970. In 1971 Orangeburg High School and Wilkinson High School merged to become Orangeburg-Wilkinson High School. The head coach for this team was Dick Sheridan. Intere…

Orangeburg High School, 1963: Orangeburg High School needed to expand the number of classrooms due to the post war baby boom. This aerial view shows the construction "E Corridor" which would contain five new classrooms and a locker area so students wouldn't have to carry around all their boo…

Big Friday Football, late 1940s or early 1950s: For many years there was a college football game at the Orangeburg County Fair on Fridays that was called “Big Friday.” It is thought that the two teams playing here are the University of South Carolina and The Citadel from a game in the late 1…

Orangeburg County Fair Officials, 1911: The Orangeburg County Fair is the oldest continually running fair in South Carolina. Shown above are the organizers and officials of the first Orangeburg County Fair in 1911. Left to Right: J.W.H. Dukes, Capt. J.H. Claffy(president), Thomas W. McCants,…

Cecil Hadwin, Airport Manager, circa 1948: Cecil Hadwin was the Fixed Base Operator (FBO), which was the airport manager, for the Orangeburg Airport for many years. Prior to that, he was one of the instructor pilots at Hawthorne School of Aeronautics here during World War II.

Hugo S. Sims Sr. 1893-1951: Hugo Sims Sr. was a man of great influence on the educational, journalistic, and business world of South Carolina. As a member of the local school board and as editor of The Times and Democrat, he cast a giant shadow on the life of Orangeburg.

Wilkinson High Football Team, 1951: Pictured above is the Wilkinson High School football team from 1951. Note the uniform style of that era with no face masks and smaller amounts of padding. Left to Right: First Row: Linnaeus Dorman, James Boyd, Alex Gardner, Herman McKenzie, James Frazier, …

River Pavilion Construction, 1950: The new river pavilion at the Edisto River swimming area was built in 1950 by the city. Alec Brown, the city engineer, designed this building, as well as oversaw its construction. This new building replaced an earlier structure that was built around 1930. T…

New Track at Orangeburg High School 1961: The first track at the Orangeburg High School campus was built in 1961. To help control construction costs, physical education students helped pick up rocks and debris for this new track and the field inside. The inside practice field was for physica…

Aerial view of Orangeburg Mall and Orangeburg-Wilkinson High School, circa 1971: This aerial picture shows the Orangeburg Mall area that opened in 1968 and the campus of the Orangeburg High School about the time it was transitioning into Orangeburg-Wilkinson High School. The apartments on th…

Rev. J.F.M. Hoffmeyer: Rev, J.F.M. Hoffmeyer was a man of vision. During the 1940s he implored the South Carolina Methodist Conference to establish a retirement home for elderly Methodists in the state. This was a new concept in those days. Rev. Hoffmeyer persisted, and finally in 1953 the S…

Cadets marching to class, c. 1943: Over 4,000 American and 1,600 French cadets completed their primary flight training for World War II at the Hawthorne School of Aeronautics in Orangeburg. These cadets were brought up in the military fashion with marching, calisthenics, etc., during their t…

Nursing School Dormitory, c. 1940: When the new hospital was built on Carolina Avenue in 1937, part of the project included the student nurses’ dormitory shown here. The lot was purchased for $1350, and a WPA grant of $18,000 went toward the $50,000 construction costs. Today this building, l…

Wilkinson High Honor Society, 1952: The Wilkinson Honor Society in 1952 represented the outstanding students in that 1952 graduating class. Several of these class members went on to become successful physicians and dentists. Pictured above are these high achievers. Left to Right: First Row: …

First Presbyterian Church, late 1800s. The First Presbyterian in Orangeburg was founded in 1835. The church building above was built in 1858 and was used until 1950. It was located on what is now Doyle Street where the Brodie, Summers, and Wilkes CPA office is now located. It fronted on Russ…

Orangeburg is an area with a rich history. Dr. Gene Atkinson is the author of books illustrating and documenting chapters in that history. Each Sunday, photographs complete with information researched by Atkinson appear in print on our “Advice Plus” page in the feature "Orangeburg Out Of The…

Edisto River Swimming Area, early 1950s: Before the advent of air conditioning, local citizens would go swimming in the Edisto River to try and cool off in the hot summers, as well as have some recreation and fun. The large trees present provided a lot of shade for the shoreline also. Above …

Mason Livingston has done more than anyone else in South Carolina to nurture the state American Legion baseball program through the years. Fittingly he could be called “Mr. American Legion Baseball” for South Carolina. Mr. Livingston was born in Livingston, South Carolina in 1921 to Melvin K…

Dixie Library, Mae Riggs, Librarian, 1939: National Library was celebrated recently across the United States. Orangeburg’s first library was the endeavor of a group of civic-minded ladies that was called the Dixie Club. It was started in 1896 by Mrs. Harry Wannamaker Sr. as a book club. By 1…

Print ads