NORTH -- “All of a sudden, trees started popping and just fell everywhere,” Margaret Lee said.

Lee and her husband, Leonard, were inside their Edgefield Road residence when heavy downpours on Saturday grew stronger around 8:30 p.m.

At one point, the sound of the trees crashing on and around the residence had Lee asking herself, “No, it ain’t falling on me, is it?”

Lightning and heavy rains pummeled a residential area in North for at least 15 to 20 minutes during the most tumultuous part of the storm.

“I thought the whole roof was coming down,” Lee said.

After the crashing stopped, the electricity went out and Lee peeked outside to see what was left and what happened.

“Oh my mercy, everything’s down and in a mess,” she said.

She used a flashlight and saw the crisscrossing of tree trunks in the yard. The storm knocked down five trees.

Late into the night, utility repairmen from SCE&G worked to restore electricity to the Lee residence and other nearby homes.

A tree snapped a power line and SCE&G crews restored power to residents there by midday on Sunday.

“Thank you, Lord, I still have a house,” Lee said.

Along with sunny weather Sunday, the sounds of whizzing chainsaws were welcome after a terrifying storm the night before.

The Lees have lived in the home for 32 years. They were there when the infamous Hurricane Hugo wrecked his way through the Palmetto State.

“Hugo wasn’t this bad,” Lee said, pointing to felled trees on the front of her house.

Leonard Lee said, “It was one of the scariest moments of my life.”

Throughout the brief storm, he said he thought his house might fall in or disappear.

“It was a tornado,” he said, “I don’t care what they say.”

National Weather Service Meteorologist Leonard Vaughan says it wasn’t a tornado, but probably straight-line winds.

Vaughan said a combination of strong winds and heavy rain saturation in the soil contributed to the trees coming down.

The National Weather Service won’t be able to determine if a microburst hit the area without checking out the damage. They expect the damage to be cleaned up before they can visit the site.

Contact the writer: or 803-533-5545 Follow on Twitter: @MRBrownTandD.