You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Report: Man fleeing police crashed, broke back
top story

Report: Man fleeing police crashed, broke back


A 35-year-old Bonneau man is facing multiple charges after he allegedly fled from a Holly Hill police officer early Monday morning.

Marvin Leroy Capers-Smith Jr. of 336 Dennis Ridge Road is facing one count each of reckless driving, third-offense driving under suspension and the felony charge of second-offense failure to stop for blue lights causing great bodily injury.

Capers-Smith is hospitalized after breaking his back due to wrecking his vehicle.

Holly Hill Municipal Judge Chasity Sanders Avinger signed the warrants on Tuesday afternoon.

According to a Holly Hill police report, the incident began when an officer noticed a light-colored SUV leaving an area near 212 Railroad Avenue.

The vehicle entered the roadway without using a turn signal and then entered the lane for oncoming traffic, the report said. The driver then disregarded the stop sign at Railroad Avenue and Peake Street.

The officer said he attempted to initiate a traffic stop but the driver began traveling at a high rate of speed onto Toney Bay Road.

Holly Hill Police Chief Josh Detter said the officer decided to call off the pursuit because there were icy patches on the roadway ahead.

The officer cautiously drove on Toney Bay Road and noticed the vehicle upside-down on the side of the road, but no occupants were in the vehicle.

With an additional officer on scene, they searched the area for anyone who may have been inside of the vehicle.

They located Capers-Smith, who was wearing dark-colored pants and a dark-colored shirt, in a ditch on the same side of the road as the vehicle.

He was breathing and slightly responsive, the report states.

Officers asked him if anyone else was with him in the vehicle and he told them there was one other occupant.

Officers searched the area for anyone else who may have been in the vehicle with him, but they didn’t find anyone else.

Capers-Smith later told them that he was the sole occupant, police said.

A short time later, members of the Holly Hill fire department and Orangeburg County EMS arrived.

Officials set up a landing zone so a helicopter could transport Capers-Smith to a North Charleston-area hospital.

The S.C. Highway Patrol then arrived on the scene and began investigating the accident.

Holly Hill officers said Capers-Smith’s car contained, “numerous amounts of small children’s shoes and other clothing. ... Some of the clothing still had tags on them and were on hangers.”

A state trooper notified police that Capers-Smith had “broken bones and other minor injuries” upon his arrival at the hospital.

Capers-Smith has a lengthy rap sheet including convictions for breaking into motor vehicles, possession of a stolen vehicle, third-degree burglary and fraudulent checks.

He’s currently serving a five-year supervised probation for first-offense failure to stop for blue lights.

His probation began April 28, 2016 and will end April 27, 2021.

If convicted of second-offense failure to stop for blue lights, causing great bodily injury, Capers-Smith faces a maximum of 10 years in prison.

Holly Hill Fire Chief J.R. Bunch said one of the firefighters who responded to the scene of Capers-Smith’s crash noticed smoke coming from a building in downtown Holly Hill on Old State Road. That fire consumed three downtown businesses.

Contact the writer: or 803-533-5545. Follow on Twitter: @MRBrownTandD.


Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News