The students and staff at Orangeburg Consolidated School District 5 schools will be honoring the community’s veterans on Friday, Nov. 10 with special programs and a free breakfast.
The free breakfast will be served from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. at the following schools: Bethune-Bowman K-12 campus; Brookdale Elementary; Dover Elementary; Marshall Elementary; Mellichamp Elementary; Rivelon Elementary; Sheridan Elementary; Whittaker Elementary; Howard Middle; Clark Middle; North Middle/High and Orangeburg-Wilkinson High. The free breakfast will be available to all veterans.
In addition, many of the schools will be recognizing the service of area veterans with special programs during the day. Among the special programs will be:
- At Bethune-Bowman K-12 campus, a student assembly featuring guest speaker Lt. Col. (Retired) Anthony Watson will begin at 2:30 p.m. in the Melvin L. Crum Gymnasium. LTC Watson is a 1984 graduate of South Carolina State University and currently serves as the South Carolina State University ROTC recruiting operations officer.
- At the High School for Health Professions, the Social Studies Department will be recognizing veterans and Patriotism Week with morning and afternoon announcements about U.S. military facts, a photo contest for students on the theme of “I, Too, Sing America," and “I AM AMERICA DAY” on Nov. 10, where students are encouraged to dress in patriotic themes or wear shirts featuring an organization or individual that demonstrates an appreciation for a diverse America. The teachers of the social studies department will also facilitate topical discussions with students during the lunch hour.
- At Mellichamp Elementary, five veterans employed at the school will be recognized for their service at a special program beginning at 9:30 a.m.
- At Orangeburg-Wilkinson High, all veterans are invited to attend the “Annual Breakfast for Veterans Celebration” beginning at 9 a.m. in the Edward A. Pellman Gymnasium. RSVP to MSgt. Wayne Ross at 533-6351 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- At Sheridan Elementary, veterans will be honored at a special program beginning at 10 a.m.
- At Dover Elementary, Pre-K students will perform during an assembly and students will be writing thank-you letters to veterans.
For more information, contact Bill Clark, public relations director, at 533-7925 or email@example.com.