Subscribe for 17¢ / day

Calhoun County

Sheriff's Office

An individual reported Sept. 27 that a man who was not authorized to be there was spotted inside Gethsemane Baptist Church on Hammond Cross road near St. Matthews.

In reviewing videotape from security cameras at the church, it was determined that the same man, Cory Richard Davis, 31, of 475 Hammond Cross Road, had been in the church several times before and that three televisions and a DVD player, worth a total of $1,700, had been stolen.

Davis was arrested and charged with two counts of misdemeanor third-degree burglary and one count of felony second-degree burglary.

In other reports:

  • A woman reported Sept. 29 that a window had been broken out with a brick at Mount Pisgah AME Church at 4859 Old State Road near St. Matthews. Damage is estimated at $500. There is no suspect in the incident at this time, the report states.
  • A resident of Stabler Hill Road near Swansea reported Sept. 29 that two Generac generators had been taken from his home. Chains were cut to remove the generators, the report states. One of the generators was a 6,500-watt unit, and the other was 8,500 watts, it was noted.

The total value of the generators is $2,000.

  • A resident of Summerland Drive near Cameron reported Oct. 1 that a DVR box was stolen from his home. A suspect has been identified from the security camera videotape, the report states. The DVR is valued at $300.
  • An employee of Jimmy's Pit Stop at 4468 Old State Road near St. Matthews reported Oct. 7 that a man attempted to make a purchase with counterfeit money. She said when she told the suspect she was calling the sheriff's office, he left the premises.

The suspect has tentatively been identified, the report states.

  • A resident of Stacey Bridge Road near Orangeburg reported Oct. 9 that she had argued with her boyfriend from Orangeburg over the weekend. She said he had not stayed at her home, but had followed her the next morning to the Horizon station, the report states.

According to the incident report, she said her boyfriend grabbed her at that time and broke the right front window of her car.

St. Matthews

Police Dept.

A resident of Sand Mountain Way near St. Matthews reported Sept. 25 that someone filled the gas tank of his 2014 Nissan Altima with water sometime between Sept. 20-25. Damage to the vehicle is estimated at $500.

In other reports:

  • An officer on Sept. 25 stopped a gray Nissan Altima that had no license plate and had a piece of clear plastic covering the back window area. The driver, a resident of Church Street near St. Matthews, did not have her driver's license with her, the report states. According to the incident report, the driver identified herself as her sister.

When the officer ran a check, he received pictures of both women and found that the driver was not who she claimed to be and that she had a suspended license for failure to pay traffic tickets, the reports states. The vehicle also had an expired license tag.

The woman was arrested and charged with giving false information to police, no vehicle license and operating an uninsured vehicle.

Her son, who was a passenger in the vehicle, was taken to his grandmother, the report states.

  • An officer on Oct. 6 was notified about an individual walking by the meat market on Park Street drinking from a brown bag. Being familiar with the subject, a resident of Bellgreen Court, and his propensity to resist arrest and run from police, the officer called for assistance from the Calhoun County Sheriff's Office.

When the officer ordered the subject to stop, he ran and threw down the bag containing a half-full, 16-ounce beer, the report states. When the officer stopped the man at a fence, the subject turned around and took a fighting posture, the report states. When the officer presented his stun gun, the man ran, the report noted. According to the incident report, the stun gun was deployed, and the subject fell to the ground.

Apparently, the report notes, the taser dislodged and the man got up and ran again. He was apprehended by deputies and transported to the St. Matthews Police Department, where he was charged on outstanding warrants, the report states.


Load comments