Coach Oliver “Buddy” Pough officially signed a contract Thursday to remain the head coach of the South Carolina State University football program.
The contract was approved by the university’s board of trustees on May 1. It ends on Dec. 31.
The contract can be extended until Dec. 31, 2020.
The signed contract officially marks the beginning of Pough’s 18th season at the helm.
Pough’s base salary will be $280,000. He’ll have a chance to earn incentives.
Pough’s potential incentives include one of the following:
• MEAC championship and invitation to the Celebration Bowl -- $10,000
• NCAA FCS playoffs -- 1st round, $5,000
• NCAA FCS playoffs -- 2nd round, $10,000
• NCAA FCS playoffs -- 3rd round, $15,000
• NCAA FCS playoffs -- 4th round, $20,000
• NCAA FCS playoffs -- Championship game, $25,000
Any or all of the following:
• MEAC Coach of the Year -- $5,000
• FCS National Coach of the Year -- $10,000
One of the following (to come from the football program):
• Single-year academic progress rate of 950 or above -- $5,000
• Single-year academic progress rate of 980 or above -- $10,000
As the coach of the Bulldogs, Pough has a record of 125-71, which equates to a 64.1 win percentage. Pough needs to notch four more wins to pass former head coach Willie Jeffries as the all-time winningest coach in program history.
Pough has led the program to two outright MEAC titles, 2008 and 2009, and co-titles in 2004, 2010, 2013 and 2014.
Four of Pough’s teams have made a trip to the NCAA Division 1 FCS playoffs, in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2013.
He is a former Bulldog All-Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference offensive lineman.
Contact the writer: email@example.com or 803-533-5516.
Get local news delivered to your inbox!
Subscribe to our Daily Headlines newsletter.