NEESES – Everything’s coming up roses or at least plants of other varieties at the close-to-completed Seniors Recreation and Leisure Center, according to discussion at Neeses Town Council’s August meeting.
Town Clerk Sonja Gleaton said, “My sister, Charlotte Scott, who everybody calls 'Charlie,' called me and asked if we were ready to fix our flower beds.”
“She came from Jacksonville, Florida. The town purchased the plants. My sister did all the work. I offered to pay her, but she said it’s her contribution,” she said.
She added, “We do also want to get some trees to plant around the building.”
Mayor Kenneth Gleaton said, “We have the flower beds and landscaping 90 percent done. We only lack the sod.”
Mayor Gleaton said the town has to submit their S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control inspection and termite inspection to Orangeburg County for the building.
You have free articles remaining.
“We have purchased part of the tables and chairs. Ms. Patsy Fogle donated $500 for more chairs,” he said.
• Mayor Gleaton also said that filing for the November election in Neeses has started and will close Thursday, Aug. 15, at noon.
• Sonja Gleaton reminded everyone that town business licenses will expire Sept. 30 and that notices are being sent out.
• Council signed a territorial agreement with Dominion Energy and Aiken Electric Cooperative during the meeting. The agreement states that if the town were to annex an area outside the town limits that they would adhere to the agreement. Dominion Energy and Aiken Co-op will return for a future meeting with franchise agreements.
• The next Neeses Crime Watch meeting will be held Monday, Aug. 12, at 6:15 p.m. at the town hall. The menu will be potluck, and a deputy from the Orangeburg County Sheriff’s Office will be invited to discuss crime prevention.
• The next Neeses Council meeting will be held Tuesday, Sept. 3, at 7:30 p.m. at the town hall.
• Council entered closed executive session at the end of the meeting to discuss a financial matter related to penny sales tax projects. No decisions or motions were made upon return to open session.