Orangeburg’s Mirmow Field is a piece of history representing one of America’s pastimes.
Since its opening in 1948, the field has quenched the thirst for baseball in Orangeburg County and has been the home of several Orangeburg teams.
It was built after many discussions and interest from semi-pro and minor league teams. Officials discussed the positive economic impact from the crowds, plus the possibility of advertising along the outside wall.
The stadium was seen as cutting edge when it was built.
An entire stadium being constructed of cement block was a rarity at the time, and the field even has its own version of the “Green Monster,” the outfield wall in Fenway Park, which is home to the Boston Red Sox.
Crowds of nearly 2,500 filled the stadium in its heyday. Many players who went on to have pro careers once called Mirmow their home, including Nathaniel Snell, Bill Spiers and Mookie Wilson.
Mirmow Field was also connected to the New York Yankees organization, having served as the spring-training home of the MLB organization’s Double-A minor league team, according to The T&D archives.
The historic field even made it to the big screen when it was featured in the motion picture film “Major League III” in 1997.
The field at 200 Whaley St. was named after Edward V. Mirmow Sr.
Its original home team, American Legion Post 4, plays its games at Mirmow.
The Claflin University baseball team also plays its home games at the stadium.
Renovations were made in 1996, but many of the original structures of the field remain, including the “green monster” and the press box.
For those looking to catch a game, Claflin’s baseball season is in full swing, and in the coming months the Post 4 team will once again be competing at Mirmow.
Entering its 71st year of operation, Mirmow Field still serves as a staple of the community in Orangeburg.