EHRHARDT - The 2018 Ehrhardt Lighted Christmas Parade, with the theme of "Silver Bells," went on despite the misting rain on Sunday, Dec. 2.
While there were fewer entries than usual because of the inclement weather, the parade was still a gorgeous display of colored lights and tinsel with lots of silver bells strung on trucks, golf carts, tractors and even an 18-wheeler that was decked out in lights as it pulled the Carolina Turf & Grass float.
The winning entries in each of the categories in the parade were as follows:
- Floats - First place, Wee Miss & Toddler Miss Schuetzenfest featuring Lynsey and Charlee Stanfield; second place, Carolina Turf & Grass, Richard Moore and Calen Hiers; third place, the 2018 Schuetzenfest Queens featuring Miss Schuetzenfest Jordan Cushman, Teen Miss Mary Cassidy Sutton, Young Miss Rebekah Chassereau and Schuetzenfest Chairman Flucie Sease.
- Novelties - First place, Lauren's Hair Salon with Cole and Gage Murdaugh “Roping Rudolph;" second place, “Lucy the Dog” featuring Jonathan Parker in his wheelchair; third place, Strawberry as Santa with Ryan Burley driving.
- Tractors - First place, Donna Avant’s Ehrhardt Pharmacy, “The Good Neighbor Pharmacy,” tractor driven by John and Levi Avant.
- Golf carts - First place, Nicole Hunsinger.
- Antique cars and trucks - First place, 1922 Ford Model T driven by Dolph Varner; second place, 1930 Model A Ford with Mayor William Stanley aboard, driven by Ricky Mosser.
Immediately after the parade, everyone gathered at the Ehrhardt Fire Department for the annual Firemen’s Soup Supper fundraiser for a hearty bowl of hot soup to help take the chill off the rainy evening.
Mayor William Stanley and Parade Chairman Flucie Sease presented a plaque of appreciation to Grand Marshals Sonya and Roger Waltz of Smoaks for their work on the Schuetzenfest and other contributions to the community over the years. They also presented trophies to the winning entries in the parade.
"In spite of the misty rain, we were spared a big downpour, and once again the little town of Ehrhardt pulled off a great parade," the mayor said.