A Springfield man accused of killing a juvenile who is related by marriage has been charged with violent crimes in the past, including kidnapping and attempted murder.
Those old charges were dropped. But now Michael Deangelo Corbitt, 25, of 160 Kingland Drive is facing new charges of murder, first-degree criminal sexual conduct, kidnapping, first-degree assault and battery and carjacking in connection with recent incidents.
Corbitt appeared before Orangeburg County Magistrate Derrick Dash on Tuesday afternoon on the murder charge.
Dash told Corbitt that a circuit judge may consider setting bond on him at a later day. For now, Corbitt remains in jail.
Corbitt is accused of shooting and killing Dominique Amaker, a juvenile, to death in Springfield on Saturday, according to court testimony. The incident report states that Amaker had several gunshot wounds.
According to Corbitt’s arrest warrant, a witness saw him in a gray Ford SUV and Amaker in a red Pontiac within minutes of the deadly encounter.
“And the same vehicles were seen on Furtick Road where the deceased was found,” the warrant states.
Shell casings found at the scene match those found at Corbitt’s home, the warrant says.
Victims advocate Amy Rinkenberger told the court on Tuesday that Corbitt and Amaker are related to each other through marriage.
Members of Amaker’s family were in the courtroom.
Rinkenberger requested that Corbitt be placed on a no contact order with Amaker’s family. Dash agreed and issued the order.
Corbitt previously appeared in Orangeburg County bond court on Jan. 3. He’s accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting a woman on Sept. 23.
Witnesses in that incident said they saw a woman screaming and waving for help from inside a black Nissan.
They saw the woman was bleeding from her mouth, according to the incident report.
You have free articles remaining.
The woman was thrown from the vehicle when the men attempted to intervene.
Warrants allege that Corbitt assaulted her sexually and physically. Those charges are still pending.
Corbitt was released on a $16,000 bond after being charged in the September incident. The fatal shooting occurred while he was out on bond, awaiting trial.
When the Orangeburg County Sheriff’s Office was asked if Corbitt’s release on bond earlier this month ended up allowing Amaker’s alleged murder to happen, spokesman Richard Walker said, “Our job is to bring the defendant to justice. In any court hearing, we respect the difficult decisions the judges have to make on a day-to-day basis.”
A motive in the killing is still under investigation, Walker said.
He said at this point in the investigation, there is no connection with any other crimes.
“However, we will not close an investigation without thoroughly exhausting all possibilities,” Walker said.
This isn’t the first time Corbitt has faced a kidnapping charge.
The Aiken County Sheriff’s Office charged Corbitt with third-degree assault and battery and kidnapping back on Aug. 8, 2015.
On Nov. 4, 2015, a jury convicted him of third-degree assault and battery.
Prosecutors dismissed the kidnapping charge after a grand jury didn’t indict him, according to online court records.
Back in 2016, the Orangeburg County Sheriff’s Office charged Corbitt with attempted murder and possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime.
Prosecutors dismissed those charges on March 21, 2018.