The Orangeburg County Coroner’s Office has identified the man who died inside a camper of possible carbon monoxide poisoning.
The deceased has been identified as 44-year-old Ross W. Stout, according to Chief Deputy Coroner Sean D. Fogle.
“Cause and manner of death are pending toxicology,” Fogle said. Stout’s body underwent an autopsy on Thursday.
A Holly Hill police officer arrived at an RV camper parked behind a Eutaw Road residence at 6:46 a.m. Tuesday, according to a police incident report.
The officer heard a woman yelling from the back of the camper, and she kept saying that they were being poisoned by bad people, the report states.
The officer asked the woman her name, but she wasn’t able to give him one, the report states.
He asked her if she’d taken any medications or drugs and she told him that she hadn’t.
He then asked her if she’d smoked methamphetamine.
She told the officer she did use methamphetamine, according to the report.
As the officer spoke with dispatchers about getting an ambulance to the scene, another officer arrived and discovered a deceased male curled up at the head of a bed, the report states.
Moments later, Holly Hill Police Chief Josh Detter arrived at the scene and located a generator running in the bathroom of the camper.
Detter deactivated the generator.
EMS arrived on the scene at 7:02 a.m. and began treating the woman for apparent carbon monoxide poisoning, the report states.
After the woman had received oxygen for about 15 minutes inside the ambulance, she told officers her name and told them that she and Stout had smoked methamphetamine between 3:30 and 4 a.m., according to the report.
The owner of the property where the camper was parked told officers that the woman and Stout took up residence on her property on Sunday in exchange for doing household and vehicle repairs.