Orangeburg County’s history can be found etched on the many historical markers located across the county.
The markers have short blurbs of historical information that inform readers of the significance of the location where they are located. They represent history dating back to the 1700s.
A list of markers located in the county include:
• Courthouse Square -- This marker is located in downtown Orangeburg and marks the location where the third courthouse for the county was erected in 1826. The courthouse was designed by architect Robert Mills. The building was destroyed by the Union Army in February 1865.
• Trinity United Methodist Church -- This marker shows where the African-American church was first built in 1870. It was the headquarters for the Orangeburg Movement in the 1960s during the Civil Rights era and hosted rallies and meetings attended by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Thurgood Marshall.
• Hawthorne School of Aeronautics -- Located on U.S. Highway 21, this marker represents the former location of a WWII flying school from 1941 to 1945 for American and French pilots.
• Rocky Swamp Rosenwald School -- Serving as the marker for the former location of a school for African-American Students serving grades 1-9, the former school is located at 7066 Norway Road in Neeses. It was built in 1921 and closed in 1951.
• Eutaw Springs Battlefield -- Located on S.C. Highway 6, this marker represents the location for the last major battle in South Carolina for the War for American Independence in September 1781.
• Pioneer Graveyard -- A marker was erected on Bull Street in Orangeburg to represent the final resting place of the early inhabitants and first settlers of Orangeburg.
• Albergotti Playground -- This marker was erected in honor of Mr. and Mrs. J. Albergotti Sr. for their efforts to provide public recreation for children. Their financial contribution helped establish the first city playground in 1922.
• Limestone and Marl Formations -- This marker is located on S.C. Highway 6 near Eutaw Springs, representing the abundance of Santee limestone and Cooper Marl limestone in the area. The bedrock is used as a source of lime, and also the home to many fossils of marine animals.
This list represents a few of the historical markers located throughout the county.
Over 35 different historical markers are located in the county, giving residents and tourists plenty of locations to visit and learn about the diverse history of Orangeburg County.
You can find a list of markers at: www.hmdb.org/results.asp?County=Orangeburg%20County&State=South%20Carolina