Voters in Orangeburg County Council District 6 will go to the polls Tuesday to select a Democratic candidate for an unexpired term on County Council.
Six candidates are vying for the seat left vacant by the late councilman Clyde Livingston, who died in July. Thirteen months remain in his term.
Voters will choose between Curtis Carter, Deloris Frazier, Gene Gartman Jr., Antonio Gathers, Anthony Hallmon and Ray Wannamaker Sabalis.
A candidate needs to obtain more than 50 percent of the vote, or a majority, in order to win the primary and avoid a runoff.
If needed, a runoff would be held on Tuesday, Oct. 10.
Voters who participated in GOP primaries in the past may still vote in the Democratic primary since South Carolina does not require voters to declare a party in order to vote. This would also not prevent them from voting in any future Republican primaries.
The winner of the Democratic primary will face GOP candidate Josh Ridley in the Nov. 28 special election.
Voters who are blind, physically disabled or unable to read or write are entitled to assistance in casting their ballot, and voters who are unable to enter their polling place due to physical handicap and those 65 years of age or older may vote from their vehicle. When notified, the polling location will help voters using a curbside voting provision.
At the polls, voters will be required to show one of the following forms of photo identification:
• S.C. driver’s license
You have free articles remaining.
• S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles ID card
• S.C. Voter Registration Card with photo
• Federal military ID
• U.S. passport
Voters who forget their photo ID may vote using a provisional ballot, but must show an ID prior to the certification of the election.
People with a reasonable impediment to getting a photo ID can vote if they sign an affidavit stating why. They must bring their non-photo voter registration card to the polling place.
Polls are open today from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Polling locations are:
- Cordova 2: Cordova Town Hall, 105 Flashover Lane, Cordova
- Limestone 1: Prince of Orange Mall (rear side near food court), 2390 Chestnut St., Orangeburg
- Suburban 4: Orangeburg Municipal Airport, 1811 Airport Road, Orangeburg
- Suburban 5: Rivelon Elementary School, 350 Thomas B. Eklund Circle, Orangeburg
- Suburban 6: Rivelon Elementary School, 350 Thomas B. Eklund Circle, Orangeburg
- Suburban 7: William J. Clark Middle School, 919 Bennett Ave., Orangeburg
- Suburban 8: Marshall Elementary School, 1441 Marshall Ave., Orangeburg
- Ward 1: Orangeburg County Fine Arts Center (River Pavilion), 619 Riverside Dr., Orangeburg
- Ward 2: Orangeburg County Chamber of Commerce, 155 Riverside Dr., SW, Orangeburg
- Ward 3: Mellichamp Elementary School, 350 Murray Road, Orangeburg
- Ward 6: Youth Canteen, 1620 Middleton St., Orangeburg
- Ward 7: Sheridan Elementary School, 1139 Hillsboro Road, Orangeburg
- Ward 8: William J. Clark Middle School, 919 Bennett Ave., Orangeburg
- Ward 9: Marshall Elementary School, 1441 Marshall Ave., Orangeburg
- Ward 10: Sheridan Elementary School, 1139 Hillsboro Road, Orangeburg