ORANGEBURG OUT OF THE PAST

Ladies’ Fountain, c. 1970: After the old Court house was torn down on the town square in 1928, City Councilman John Sifly was sent to find a suitable war memorial statue for the new landscaped town square. He returned with this statue of scantily clothed women. In 1951 when major upgrades were made to the town square, it was removed and placed in storage. This statue then reappeared in 1959 at the main entrance to Orangeburg’s beautiful Edisto Memorial Gardens where it has remained ever since.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.