The Young America Co., as it was first known, was the first volunteer fire department in Orangeburg. It was established in 1854 after a terrible fire destroyed much of the downtown business district. Their fire station, pictured above, was erected in front of the parsonage of First Baptist Church at the corner of Russell and Middleton Streets on the town square. The church building itself is on the left side of this picture. In 1879 this fire department bought Orangeburg’s first steam pumper at a cost of $6000. Their station building on the right side of this picture was torn down around 1902. The only firemen identified in this photo are T.O.S. Dibble, standing on the pumper on the right side, who was their leader for many years. Immediately in front of him are George Dexter and “Uncle Joe” Harley (with the white beard). Gus Hallogren is the fifth from the right, Frederick S. Dibble is next to the right, and the far right fireman is W.L. Harley.