Orangeburg’s First Hospital: In this 1924 photograph, the nursing staff and nursing students pose in front of Orangeburg’s first hospital on Glover Street near the intersection with Broughton Street. This building was built around 1890 as a dormitory for the Orangeburg Collegiate Institute, a Baptist affiliated college. After the college closed in 1914 it became Orangeburg’s first sustainable hospital in 1919. This hospital was established and owned by Dr. Charles Mobley. In this gathering above, the nurses and nursing students are lined up in front of this first hospital. The little boy seated in front is “Red” Fairey, who was the first baby to be born at this hospital after it opened. This hospital was replaced in 1937 with a new hospital on Carolina Avenue where today’s County Health Department is located.