Col. J.A. Banks, who served in the South Carolina House of Representatives and Senate, was born in 1859 and became a prominent merchant, farmer, banker and civic leader in the town of St. Matthews.
Besides managing a cotton farm, Banks and a partner, Edward Wimberly, operated a store in the late 1800s that, according to Wimberly's obituary, did "the largest business of any store between Columbia and Charleston."
In addition to being mayor of St. Matthews, Banks represented Calhoun County in the South Carolina Senate and also served as president of the South Carolina Agricultural and Mechanical Society.
Banks' home was just as prominent as he was.
Built about 1893 and remodeled in 1909-1910, the original house was one story with a gable roof, two interior chimneys and a porch spanning the breadth of the façade.
With the 1909-1910 remodeling, the house took its present form.
Located at 104 Dantzler St. in St. Matthews, the dwelling is an example of Classical and Victorian architectural elements.
The house incorporates certain features of the residual Queen Anne style -- the asymmetrical plan and multiple textures.
Significant architectural features include: two neoclassical colossal Corinthian porticos; the concave recess of the second-floor balcony; the elliptical arch of the stair hall; and the original leaded and beveled windows and mirrors.
Two one-story, weatherboarded outbuildings, a fowl house and a workshop, are also on the property.
The house was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in January 1980.