Peanut Field Day Sept. 7
BLACKVILLE -- A peanut field day is scheduled for Sept. 7 at the Edisto Research and Education Center at 64 Research Road.
Registration begins 8 a.m. A field tour will be held from 9 a.m. to noon. A catered lunch will be held at noon.
- Improving Irrigation Scheduling, Jose Payero 9:10 a.m.
- Late Leaf Spot Management -- Dan Anco 9:40 a.m.
- Precision Agriculture Technologies -- Kendall Kirk 10:05 a.m.
- Variety Show -- Dan Anco 10:20 a.m.
- Weed Control -- Mike Marshall 10:45 a.m.
- Thrips, Spotted Wilt & Spider Mites, Oh My! -- Dan Anco and James Thomas 11:15 a.m.
- Market Update (Auditorium) -- Nathan Smith 11:45 a.m.
- Lunch (Auditorium) -- Noon
For more information contact: 803-284-3343.
Pesticide disposal in Calhoun
The South Carolina Department of Agriculture is offering the opportunity to safely dispose of outdated, unusable or unwanted pesticides.
Pesticides will be collected from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 12, at Middling Cotton at 3401 Bridge Street in St. Matthews.
SCDA staff will be on site to monitor pesticide collection and disposal, and will have final authority on acceptance of products.
- Chemical and pesticide quantities accepted will be limited to 2,500 pounds of solid and 300 gallons of liquid at no charge.
- Pesticide products accepted include herbicides, insecticides, nematicides, fungicides and similar products used in agricultural production or around the home.
- Rinsate will not be accepted.
- Fertilizer will not be accepted unless it is combined or co-packed with a pesticide such as weed and feed.
- No compressed gas cylinders (metal cylinder with a valve) or empty pesticide containers will be collected.