The New York Jets have promoted linebacker Ricky Sapp from the practice squad to the active roster and added safety Antonio Allen to the practice squad.
Sapp, originally a 2010 fifth-round draft pick by Philadelphia out of Clemson and Bamberg-Ehrhardt High School, was with the Jets’ practice squad last year and was on the active roster for the season finale. He was signed to New York’s practice squad on Sept. 1 after being waived in the preseason by the team this year. He spent three days on the practice squad, was cut again, but then re-signed on Sept. 11.
Allen was the Jets’ seventh-round pick out of South Carolina in April and was cut on Sept. 1, added to the practice squad the next day, then joined the active roster and played in three games in October. He was waived on Tuesday and re-signed to the practice squad Thursday.
* Da’Quan’s comeback
Da’Quan Bowers’ remarkable recovery from a torn Achilles suffered in May appears complete.
In the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ 42-32 win over Oakland Sunday, Bowers, who was activated Oct. 25, was credited with two tackles and a sack.
The former Bamberg-Ehrhardt star defensive lineman’s first game in 2012 was his team’s Thursday night, 36-17, win over Minnesota two weeks ago. Bowers played 12 snaps in and was impressive.
“I definitely think my presence was noticeable,” Bowers said in a story published at tampabay.com following the win over the Vikings. “I was fortunate enough to help the team tonight. Under the circumstances, just getting thrown in the first, it worked out really well. Coach Schiano asked me how I felt. I told him, and we came up with the decision to go. I felt good about the decision. He totally left it up to me, and I felt I was more prepared this week than last week.”
* Alshon practices
Alshon Jeffery, WR, Chicago Bears (Calhoun County), has missed the last three games after suffering what has been reported to be a hand fracture against the Jacksonville Jaguars. News out of Chicago was that he returned to a limited practice Friday, but is listed as doubtful for this week’s game against the Houston Texans.
Meanwhile, Tim Jennings, CB, Chicago Bears (Orangeburg-Wilkinson), had three tackles and two pass defenses in his team’s 56-20 win over Tennessee.
* David Sims, B-Back, Georgia Tech (Calhoun County) - Sims had eight carries for 33 yards in his team’s 33-13 win over Maryland.
* Robert Smith, DB, Clemson (Woodland) - Smith had two tackles, one for loss, in his team’s 56-20 win over Duke.
* Dante Stewart, DB, Clemson (Calhoun County) - Stewart had a tackle in his team’s win.
* Sterling Lucas, LB, N.C. State (Orangeburg-Wilkinson) - Lucas had nine tackles in his team’s 33-6 loss to Virginia.
* Roderick Davenport, RB, St. Augustine’s (Orangeburg-Wilkinson) - Davenport had 22 carries for 112 yards and two touchdowns in his team’s 43-42 win over Shaw.
* Devine Kelly, DB, Newberry (Woodland) - Kelly had two tackles in his team’s 44-21 loss to Lenoir-Rhyne.
* Jeffery Salley, DT, Coastal Carolina (Bamberg-Ehrhardt) - Salley had a tackle and a sack in his team’s 55-33 win over Gardner-Webb.
* Freddie Martino, WR, North Greenville (North) - Martino had three catches for 57 yards and a touchdown and also recorded a tackle in his team’s 35-28 win over Wingate.
* Kamrie Connell, WR, North Greenville (Edisto) - Connell had one catch for 5 yards in his team’s win.
* Andrew Williams, WR, Youngstown State (Bethune-Bowman) - Williams had two catches for 38 yards in his team’s 13-10 win over South Dakota.
* Michael Gruber, LB, Brevard (Dorchester Academy) - Gruber had 8.5 tackles in his team’s 19-13 loss to Catawba.