Bamberg Police Department
A 17-year-old Atlanta, Georgia woman was arrested and charged with third-degree assault and battery on Aug. 25 after allegedly punching another woman in the nose.
Police were dispatched to the Bamberg Job Corps Center just after 2 a.m. in reference to an assault in the women's dorm. Officers were shown a video of the alleged assault.
According to the incident report, officers determined that the victim, an 18-year-old Gaffney student, had been “set up” and was lured into another student’s room, where she was attacked by the Atlanta student.
In other reports:
- Officers were dispatched to a Dickinson Street residence on Aug. 21 in reference to a break-in. Two women who live at the home during the week were notified by their brother that the house had been broken into after the women had left.
Police investigated the scene and compiled a list of missing items that included a Craftsman, lawn mower, a Snapper lawn mower, several rings, two shotguns, a revolver and two rifles. The total estimated value of the missing items is $7,960. Anyone with information is asked to call the Bamberg Police Department at 803-245-2462.
- A 48-year-old Pentecostal Avenue man was arrested on Aug. 21 and charged with disorderly conduct. Police responded to a report that the man had been drinking and had turned a discussion about the eclipse into an argument.
He allegedly threatened others on the scene at the laundromat on Society Street.
- A 48-year-old Raysor Road man was arrested and charged with open container and disorderly conduct on Aug. 25. Police were asked to assist at the back gate of Bamberg-Ehrhardt High School around 7:30 p.m., after the man refused to pay the correct fee to enter the football game, the report states.
Officers noticed an open beer can in the man’s cup-holder and observed the man smelled strongly of alcohol. A firearm found in the vehicle’s glove compartment came back clean.
- A 47-year-old Orangeburg man was arrested and charged with driving under suspension and failure to comply on Aug. 19. The arrest occurred during a traffic stop on U.S. Highway 78 for a faulty headlight.
After confirming that the man’s license was suspended, officers went to place him under arrest and he pulled away from them, the report states.
- A 56-year-old Bamberg Street man was arrested on Aug. 25 and charged with breach of peace. Police were dispatched to the man’s residence after it was reported that he was kicking his 57-year-old wife out of the residence and throwing her belongings out on the porch.
The man smelled strongly of alcohol and was uncooperative, the report notes. When placed under arrest, the man resisted.
- A 52-year-old Orangeburg man was arrested on Aug. 19 and charged with not having a South Carolina driver’s license and having an expired tag. The arrest occurred after police stopped him for speeding on Cox Avenue.
- A 40-year-old Pentecostal Street man was arrested and charged with third-offense driving under suspension on Aug. 14. The arrest occurred after the man was stopped for speeding on U.S. 78.
- A 48-year-old Aiken man was arrested on Aug. 13 and charged with driving under suspension. The arrest occurred after he was stopped for speeding on Heritage Highway.
- A 50-year-old Smoaks man was arrested on Aug. 17 and charged with driving under suspension. The arrest occurred after officers stopped him on Heritage Highway for not having a tag displayed properly on his vehicle.