ST. MATTHEWS -- Representatives of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10729 and its Ladies Auxiliary appeared at the Calhoun County School District Board of Trustees' September meeting to solicit support from the community.
Jeff Glover and Karen Buckman of the VFW told the trustees the post is trying in increase membership and citizen participation in its scholarship program.
Buckman said the VFW will also help those trying to obtain their VA benefits.
Also during the meeting, George Kiernan, district human resources and operations director, reported the playgrounds at Sandy Run School and St. Matthews K-8 are being upgraded to facilitate easier use.
Trustee Ned Nelson said the playground at the Sandy Run School needed to be moved to make it more accessible to students.
In his report, Superintendent Dr. Steve Wilson said he attended a seminar at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston on the Telehealth Program. He described it as an online program in which the school nurse can directly talk to a qualified physician in real-time and the physician can prescribe treatment at that time. He said personnel from the Telehealth Program were scheduled to visit the district.
In other business, the board recognized the students with the highest grade point averages in the fourth quarter of 2016-2017 as follows:
Sandy Run School
- Sixth Grade -- Alexandria Ancik, 4.50; Thayne Mina, 4.91.
- Seventh Grade -- Chelsea Jacobs, 4.50; Kendall Prevatte, 4.68.
- Eighth Grade -- Matthew Murphy, 4.60; Cara Coker, 5.01.
St. Matthews K-8 School
- Sixth Grade -- Brandon Myrick, 4.467; Avonte Grant, 4.600.
- Seventh Grade -- Tacoma Magnan, 4.2800; Michelle Guerrero, 4.514.
- Eighth Grade -- Destiny Defreitas, 4.240; Samantha Myrick, 4.800.
Calhoun County High School
- Ninth Grade -- Jurnee Jenkins, 4.732.
- 10th Grade -- Jordan Franklin, 5.025.
- 11th Grade -- Nicolas Whisnant, 4.987.
- 12th Grade -- Jessica Jager, 5.123.
Superintendent's Award for 2016-2017
- Receiving a $100 incentive were Jordan Franklin and Nicolas Whisnant, Calhoun County High School.