Suspects charged in bus joy ride, crash

2012-06-02T05:30:00Z 2012-06-05T09:54:51Z Suspects charged in bus joy ride, crashBy DALE LINDER-ALTMAN, T&D Staff Writer The Times and Democrat

Two juveniles will be charged with failure to stop for a blue light and siren during a joy ride that ended in a crash, critically injuring one of the suspects, Calhoun County Sheriff Thomas Summers said Friday.

The two suspects, ages 12 and 15, allegedly stole a school bus from Orangeburg Preparatory Schools and led law enforcement officials in a chase across Calhoun and Orangeburg counties.

Summers reported the juveniles said they decided to switch who was driving the bus. One of them obviously thought he was a better driver than the other, the sheriff said.

The chase began at about 2:30 a.m. Tuesday morning on U.S. 21 in Calhoun County and ended when the bus crashed into the wall at a Zeus Industrial Products building on Mill Street in Orangeburg.

The suspects are not in custody but will be taken before family court, Summers said.

He said the identity of the juveniles is protected by law, but he said both reside in Orangeburg County. Neither suspect is a student at Orangeburg Preparatory Schools, he said.

The 15-year-old was airlifted to Palmetto Health Richland. He had to have a foot amputated but is recovering.

The 12-year-old fled the scene, and deputies were unable to catch him.

Summers said Calhoun County probably will not file further charges against the suspects.

However, the crash is still under investigation by the S.C. Highway Patrol, and the theft of the bus continues to be under investigation by the Orangeburg County Sheriff’s Office.

Contact the writer: dlinder-altman@timesanddemocrat.com or 803-533-5529.

Copyright 2015 The Times and Democrat. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(43) Comments

1. TaxPayer59
    TaxPayer59 - June 10, 2012 4:07 pm
    truthandjustice said: "Once again, to quote various people: Thanks for the compliment(s). You are being very kind this week. "

I'm always kind to you. LOL!
  2. Sunflower510
    Sunflower510 - June 09, 2012 9:08 pm
    Well, when we see a kid sporting a new prosthetic foot, I guess we'll know the identity of one of the two joy riders.
  3. truthandjustice
    truthandjustice - June 09, 2012 7:59 pm
  4. TaxPayer59
    TaxPayer59 - June 09, 2012 7:27 pm
    truthandjustice said: "Oh, I know how. "

Well, congratulations! That's a huge accomplishment for someone with your IQ! Can you roll both backwards AND forward? LOL!
  5. truthandjustice
    truthandjustice - June 08, 2012 4:31 pm
    Oh, I know how.
  6. TaxPayer59
    TaxPayer59 - June 08, 2012 2:29 pm
    truthandjustice said: "At least I am not rolling on the floor. "

You probably don't know how. LOL!!
  7. truthandjustice
    truthandjustice - June 08, 2012 7:52 am
    At least I am not rolling on the floor.
  8. TaxPayer59
    TaxPayer59 - June 08, 2012 12:39 am
    truthandjustice said: "Thanks , again for the compliment. At, least you are nothitting your head rolling on the floor. "

I can't say the same about you. You sound like you're hitting your head on something! LOL!
  9. truthandjustice
    truthandjustice - June 07, 2012 3:51 pm
  10. TaxPayer59
    TaxPayer59 - June 07, 2012 12:54 am
    truthandjustice: "BTW: keep the compliments coming."

Sure thing, idiot. LOL!
  11. truthandjustice
    truthandjustice - June 06, 2012 8:47 am
    BTW: keep the compliments coming. You are becoming a sensible person.
  12. truthandjustice
    truthandjustice - June 06, 2012 8:46 am
    Well,"TP" you are being very complimentary this week . Thanks.
  13. TaxPayer59
    TaxPayer59 - June 05, 2012 8:42 pm
    truthandjustice said: "Well, I guess I am just too liberal. "

If you believe that an injury a person acquires while committing a crime is his "punishment....."doesn't make you liberal... it makes you foolish.
  14. TaxPayer59
    TaxPayer59 - June 05, 2012 8:38 pm
    truthandjustice: " Thanks for the compliment."

You poor creature. I guess you're so used to getting insulted, that you think they are "compliments!" LOL!
  15. truthandjustice
    truthandjustice - June 05, 2012 7:16 pm
    Well, I guess I am just too liberal.
  16. truthandjustice
    truthandjustice - June 05, 2012 2:24 pm
    "TP" Thanks for the compliment. You are nice to me for some reason.
    And,jhaul: What you are comparing is like apple and cattle. If, the teens had robbed a bank,and a foot was shot off. That would mean they had weapons themselves(ever heard of "armed robbery". And, if they had hurt someone with the bus, then they should have been "fried."!!!!
  17. TaxPayer59
    TaxPayer59 - June 05, 2012 1:30 pm
    jhawl said: "So if a bank robber gets shot and loses a hand, that would be suffice punishment? "

You just got a dose of how truthandjustice thinks. The teen lost a foot in the process of committing a crime, so, in truth's eyes that's his punishment! Ridiculous, isn't it? The teen lost his foot as a "consequence" to his actions. If truthandjustice had half a brain, he would realize that doesn't qualify as "punishment." The kid should still have to face the court system!
  18. jhawl
    jhawl - June 05, 2012 1:18 pm
  19. TaxPayer59
    TaxPayer59 - June 04, 2012 9:02 pm
    truthandjustice aka dirtpoor: "No, I just recognize "wry" humor when I read it"

There is absolutely NOTHING humorous about this situation.
  20. truthandjustice
    truthandjustice - June 04, 2012 6:09 pm
    No, I just recognize "wry" humor when I read it. Thankfully, Frank Zappa hasn't posted on this. If, he did you probably would be calling the Christian Coalition.
    And evidently, you did not read my first post. I believe the loss of the foot is just punishment for that teen. I do believe he has learned a lesson that he will not orget the rest of his life.
  21. TaxPayer59
    TaxPayer59 - June 04, 2012 3:41 pm
    truthandjustice said: "I do believe everyone has a right to his own opinion.And, one poster does not even know "wry humor": when the poster reads it!!And: Tax: I think you meant desicable.net. you left the .net off. "

You think it's "wry humor" to make fun of a child that had to have his foot amputated? You're as sick as norwegian.
    Oh, and I meant "despicable." I was so sickened by those comments, I couldn't even spell it correctly.
    But, you seem to relate to "wry humor"
  22. truthandjustice
    truthandjustice - June 04, 2012 2:08 pm
    I do believe everyone has a right to his own opinion.
    And, one poster does not even know "wry humor": when the poster reads it!!
    And: Tax: I think you meant desicable.net. you left the .net off.
  23. TaxPayer59
    TaxPayer59 - June 04, 2012 1:33 pm
    sicntyrd said: "making fun of a young man who has just lost his foot goes way beyond stupid, it is cruel. And while I condone neither the 15 or 12 year olds or their parents, I sympathize with a young man whose life is forever changed after a stupid mistake. There go I but for the grace of God. "

Good post. Young people sometimes do stupid things. For someone to gloat about a child losing his foot, shows a lack of character and compassion. But, norwegian is that type of person.
  24. TaxPayer59
    TaxPayer59 - June 04, 2012 1:30 pm
    Towngirl said: "Norwegian,comments like yours do not help. So you are just determined to express a hillbilly's point of view.And of course you don't think your comments are racists... "

norwegian is simply doing what he does best. Spew hateful racist comments and when called on it, claims that OTHERS are the actual racists. He's a piece of work, isn't he?
  25. TaxPayer59
    TaxPayer59 - June 04, 2012 1:28 pm
    oldcrow said: "Da Old Crow say, trade a foot fa a wid stole buss ride, what a storie he gonna have a tell his grand chillun, when ask pa pa where ya foot? "

Desicable.
  26. TaxPayer59
    TaxPayer59 - June 04, 2012 1:27 pm
    confisus_sum: "misslee I agree with all of your points except one, and that being race."

Of course, we've come to expect this from you! You gravitate toward stories about black crime to push your agenda. Yet, you avoid white crime stories like the plague. It's what you do best.
    People of ALL RACES commit crimes. Rather than run to these stories with your "I told you, so" attitude, why don't you offer some REAL solutions?

27. TaxPayer59
    TaxPayer59 - June 04, 2012 1:23 pm
    misslee81: "let's stop focusing on skin color so much. As if whites, hispanics, etc don't all create the same type of crimes. Where in this article did it reference a race?? Come on people.."

You're so right.

28. TaxPayer59
    TaxPayer59 - June 04, 2012 1:15 pm
    SaltWater: "Really 12 years old I forsee a long life of crime for this one and the other."

Not necessarily.

29. TaxPayer59
    TaxPayer59 - June 04, 2012 1:14 pm
    norwegian: "Teacher next year asks, What did you do this summer Quontavious? I had went on a High speed chase in honkey bus at the college where bulldawgs play and smashed some gates down and rolled thru 2 county and 4 po-po agencies done chased me..We passed by tacos bell and was gonna go too tha fair but it was closed doe..So we ride the bus and hit my blunts."

Racist or not? You decide. Nice work, norwegian. You ALWAYS prove me right!

30. sicntyrd
    sicntyrd - June 03, 2012 7:51 am
    I don't think the medical issue can be the punishment. However, making fun of a young man who has just lost his foot goes way beyond stupid, it is cruel. And while I condone neither the 15 or 12 year olds or their parents, I sympathize with a young man whose life is forever changed after a stupid mistake. There go I but for the grace of God.
  31. LSUgirl
    LSUgirl - June 02, 2012 10:05 pm
    Who is going to pay for the bus, the gates, and the big hole in the building at Zeus? Don't get me wrong I feel really bad for the young man, but he has to be charged also.
  32. truthandjustice
    truthandjustice - June 02, 2012 9:25 pm
    And, in the case of losing his foot, I believe the consequence is the punishment.
  33. LSUgirl
    LSUgirl - June 02, 2012 6:34 pm
    Sheriff Summers what about driving without a license, what about driving left of center, and what about speeding. I hope DPS has a long line of charges for them, like driving without a license, reckless driving, speeding, leaving the scene of accident, and failure to stop for the blue lights. The OCSO charge them with trespassing, vandalism, grand theft auto.
  34. Towngirl
    Towngirl - June 02, 2012 2:41 pm
  35. jhawl
    jhawl - June 02, 2012 1:27 pm
    The kid losing his foot was a consequence, not a punishment.
  36. truthandjustice
    truthandjustice - June 02, 2012 11:46 am
    I think the person who had his foot amputated has learned his/her lesson.That, if you take a step back and think about it should agree with no further punishment toward that person. The other, should receive the normal punishment! And, the parents should pay for the bus!
    And, Norwegian, losing a foot is not light.
  37. oldcrow
    oldcrow - June 02, 2012 11:31 am
  38. confisus_sum
    confisus_sum - June 02, 2012 11:06 am
    having an honest conversation about it will. There is NO excuse for kids being out at this time of night, ESPECIALLY 12 years old. And I agree, any child caught committing a crime under the age of 16 parents' should be charged WITH THE SAME crime and suffer the same penalties. That won't be a law about skin color, it will be about saving future generations, and to be honest, we had better start now.
  39. confisus_sum
    confisus_sum - June 02, 2012 11:03 am
    misslee I agree with all of your points except one, and that being race. For too long black communities have suffered at the hands of political correctness. As politicians dance around the subject, generations of black families experience father less homes, assistance dependence, outrageous crime statistics, black on black crime, etc... Yet everyone wants to be politically correct and not bring these things to light so they can be corrected. Money and programs WON'T fix this issue. But
  40. misslee81
    misslee81 - June 02, 2012 10:20 am
    at this hour. How about focusing on what we can do to save our children...because they are our future. I think we focus on the wrong things....I agree that there should definitely be some type of consequences for the youth, because they are responsible for this. But the parents should be held accountable too. And let's stop focusing on skin color so much. As if whites, hispanics, etc don't all create the same type of crimes. Where in this article did it reference a race?? Come on people..
  41. misslee81
    misslee81 - June 02, 2012 10:17 am
    Some people are so IGNORANT! Let's look at the real issue at hand....yes, the children had no business being out at this hour, a child has lost a foot, though this all. Yes, it will serve as a constant reminder, but still...its a CHILD! Children get into all types of mischievous activity at this age. Granted, they should have not been out that this hour, but who's to blame? What about focusing on more important issues, like where the parents were, and how the children were ALLOWED to be out
  42. gamecockgirl
    gamecockgirl - June 02, 2012 9:35 am
    Sheriff Summers you are a weenie! Why won't CC be pressing charges, please say it isn't because you feel sorry for the little idiots? Does this mean that I can speed through CC with the police in pursuit, lights blazing, crash and burn then get out and say "Let's do it again!" Yeah, just what these kids and their irresponsible parents need...a break! Sheriff Summers' endorsing crime since May 2012.
  43. SaltWater
    SaltWater - June 02, 2012 9:17 am
    Really 12 years old I forsee a long life of crime for this one and the other. Are there any adults that look after these or do they get this behavior from the adults at home
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick