A 33-year-old man living at the Relax Inn in Bamberg was arrested on Sept. 23 and charged with manufacturing methamphetamine, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of burglary tools.
James C. Mitchell was arrested after officers observed him walking with a backpack on Pine Street. Units had just received a call about someone knocking on house doors with a flashlight, the incident report states.
While interviewing Mitchell and searching his backpack, officers located a pipe, a hacksaw, another saw and some pliers, the report states. The Bamberg Police Department K-9 alerted officers to drugs that were inside two bottles in Mitchell's backpack. He admitted that he used meth, the report states.
Two pills identified as Schedule II drugs were also found in a container on his key chain, it was noted in the report.
In other reports:
- A man and his wife were arrested after officers responded to a report of a domestic violence incident at a Brickle Street residence on Sept. 23.
The 22-year-old man and the 21-year-old woman were arrested after both alleged that the other struck them.
Both were charged with third-degree domestic violence.
- A 52-year-old Swan Lane man was arrested and charged with third-degree domestic violence on Sept. 23. Officers were dispatched to a Middle Street residence, where the alleged victim’s daughter told them the man had punched her mother in the face.
The man in question was sitting outside on the steps and told officers that nothing had happened. Officers noted that he smelled strongly of alcohol. The victim, who had swelling around her left eye, then came outside and said everything was okay, the report states. According to the incident report, she also smelled of alcohol. The man and the woman told officers that they were married and lived together.
- A 19-year-old Barnwell woman was arrested Sept. 28 and charged with hit and run, driving under suspension and parking in a handicapped zone. On Sept. 20, officers were called to EZ Shop #2 on Heritage Highway in reference to an incident in which the woman allegedly backed into another car and then left the scene.
The victim, a 34-year-old Lazy Lane woman, reported the incident right after it occurred. A video camera caught the incident on tape and was used to help identify the driver, who left the scene.
- A 30-year-old Barnwell man was arrested and charged with simple possession of marijuana and speeding (48 in a 30 mph zone) on Oct. 17. The arrest occurred after the man was pulled over on U.S. 78.
A passenger in the vehicle, an 18-year-old Aiken woman, was also charged with simple possession of marijuana.
- A 47-year-old Sparrow Court man was arrested and charged with driving under suspension, third and subsequent offense, on Oct. 9. Officers, who knew the man was a habitual offender with over six DUS charges in the last five years, observed him driving on Bridge Street and obtained a warrant for his arrest, the report states.
A warrant for allowing an unauthorized driver was also sought for the owner of the vehicle, a 33-year-old Sparrow Court woman, who was in the car at the time.
- An 18-year-old Williston man was arrested for allegedly receiving stolen goods on Oct. 2. The arrest occurred as the result of an investigation by police regarding the theft of a bicycle valued at $200 from a Rhoad Park Street residence.
- A 45-year-old Ulmer man was arrested on Oct. 1 and charged with disorderly conduct. Officers found the man lying on the ground in front of Dash Funeral Home on Heritage Highway just after midnight.
The man, who smelled strongly of alcohol, told officers that he slept there all the time, the report states.
- A 21-year-old Denmark woman was arrested and charged with breach of trust with fraudulent intent on Oct. 14. The woman, an employee of Family Dollar on Railroad Avenue, allegedly took cash from the store register starting on July 1.
The amount of $390 was allegedly taken in total, the report states.
- A 32-year-old woman was arrested and charged with driving under suspension after being stopped for a defective headlight on Oct. 7. The incident occurred on U.S. 301.
- A 26-year-old man was arrested and charged with second-offense driving under suspension on Oct. 18 after being stopped on Race Street at a safety checkpoint.
- A 49-year-old Race Street man was arrested on Oct. 18 and charged with second-offense driving under suspension after being stopped at a safety checkpoint on Race Street.