Man arrested for striking wife; children believed their mother was dead

2014-01-14T05:00:00Z Man arrested for striking wife; children believed their mother was deadT&D Staff Report The Times and Democrat
January 14, 2014 5:00 am  •

Orangeburg Department of Public Safety

Police were initially told a woman was dead after three children reported an assault on their mother.

A concerned citizen called 911 Sunday about 6:20 p.m. to report that three children had come to the caller’s residence for help. The caller said the children said their mother was dead in their residence.

Police arrived at the residence to find the 30-year-old woman conscious and sitting up on a bed. Officers noted she had a large lump and some bruising on the side of her head. She told them she had fallen and hit her head on a bathroom fixture.

The children, ages 6, 7 and 9, had a different story. The oldest said their mother was arguing with their father about a phone. She said at one point, “he hit my mommy because she said she was going to call 911,” the report states.

The children said their father left. When the woman said she wasn’t feeling well, her children took her to bed, the report states.

“Then she fell and hit her head,” the oldest child told police. “She was laying on the floor, and we tried to wake her up but she wouldn’t wake up.”

The oldest child then sent her sister next door to call 911 from a neighbor’s house. With emergency crews on the way, the children said they still couldn’t wake their mother.

“We thought she was dead so we kept putting her on my asthma machine,” the oldest child said. “She didn’t wake up.”

The woman was transported to the Regional Medical Center to be evaluated. While there, her husband arrived, and police took him into custody.

Marcus Singleton, 30, of 2886 Lakeside Drive, Orangeburg, was charged with criminal domestic violence of a high and aggravated nature.

Bond was set on him Monday at $5,000 cash or surety.

In an unrelated report, a Bowman man was taken off the road on a drunk driving charge after he reportedly left the scene of a collision Saturday night, according to an ODPS incident report.

A woman called police about 8 p.m. saying she was behind a man in a blue Ford Explorer who had been in an accident. The driver of the Ford had left the scene and was traveling on Broughton Street, she said.

Police caught up with the SUV at the intersection of Old Riley and Broughton streets. Officers managed to stop the vehicle after observing the driver weave across the road and into oncoming traffic.

The driver was asked to exit his vehicle. When he was asked for his license and registration, he tried to get into an officer’s patrol car apparently believing it to be his own vehicle, the report states. He was then directed to the correct vehicle, at which time his information was retrieved.

The man was given several sobriety tests, including a Breathalyzer, which indicated his blood alcohol content was .24, the report states. The legal limit is .08.

When the man said he was ill, he was taken to the hospital where he proceeded to wet himself, the multi-page report indicates. He then passed out.

Revived somewhat and cleared at least physically for jail, the man refused to leave the hospital, the report states. He then laid down on the floor. He was then assisted to a patrol car and taken to jail.

The 54-year-old Moss Street man was charged with driving under the influence greater than .16 and also hit-and-run.

Orangeburg County Sheriff’s Office

A nightclub security guard was treated early Sunday for an accidental gunshot wound to the leg, according to an OCSO incident report.

Deputies were sent to the Regional Medical Center about 4:30 a.m. to investigate the shooting of a security guard at a Julian Street club called the Palace.

The 27-year-old guard said he had accidentally bumped against a counter, knocking over a pistol that was lying on the counter. He said when the pistol hit the floor, it went off, striking him in the leg.

None of the security guards knew how the gun got into the club or who it belonged to, according to the report.

In other reports:

* Authorities are searching for a gunman who robbed a Benjamin Boulevard business and pistol whipped an employee Friday.

A man working at Water’s Edge Rentals said he was helping a customer at about 4:15 p.m. when a gunman wearing a green bandana over his face ran into the business demanding money. The gunman ordered the female customer to get on the floor and demanded money from the employee. He then struck the employee in the back of the head with the pistol before firing a shot into the floor.

The gunman is described as a white male standing about 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighing about 160 pounds.

* An Indiana couple were relieved of $10,000 after being promised money in a high-stakes money game at a truck stop.

A woman told investigators she and her boyfriend were at the Pilot gas station off Interstate 26 near Bowman about 2:15 p.m. Friday where the money game was going on. She said while her boyfriend was in the store, a man approached her saying someone had just won $189 million in a game being played in the parking lot. The stranger said the gamers were giving away $100 just to play.

After the boyfriend returned to the car, he and the woman walked to a location behind a package delivery vehicle. They spoke to the gamers about the game and went back to their vehicle to retrieve $10,000.

With money in hand, they went back behind the delivery vehicle, where someone grabbed their money. The gamers, described as white males, then ran in multiple directions.

Copyright 2014 The Times and Democrat. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(27) Comments

1. womanfirefighter41
    womanfirefighter41 - January 20, 2014 6:23 am
    Shame on you Shanta Singleton for lying and teaching your children that telling the truth is wrong! I agree w/ nevergiveup, if this trash is innocent then why isn't there a lawyer involved and the story being taken down? You are a lousy poor excuse for a mother.
  2. zephbe
    zephbe - January 18, 2014 2:41 pm
    Can you imagine how those children felt when they thought their mother was dead? And now she is trying to defend this clown?? DSS needs to investigate and counsel the children. That is emotional abuse.
  3. nevergiveup
    nevergiveup - January 16, 2014 9:21 pm
    Statement. If it were my husband I would walk through the fires of hell to get the news paper to take it off their website. So what's the hold up????
  4. nevergiveup
    nevergiveup - January 16, 2014 9:18 pm
    Oh how I go on? My sweet jail bird isn't going to leave his wife. I thought my life was going to have Marcus in it forever. :'( Now I'm getting serious...why in hades would I want a degenerative, wife beating, low life, piece of trash felon? Let his lying wife keep him & she needs to get some insurance for the next cell phone he hits her in the head with. It's like an extra ten bucks a month @ Verizon. Since she rolling in the dough she can get a lawyer to get the T&D to make a retraction
  5. Neighbor12
    Neighbor12 - January 16, 2014 5:04 pm
    The night it occur made me look at life differently your 3 youngest children save your life and came over and did what was right. Dont allow yourself to come out of character you are bless to be here.It doesn't take common sense to figure out if Marcus beat you why did he get a call to come to the hospital knowing if he was responsible he would have got lock up! Marcus did what a husband should have done and end up getting arrested.I will keep you and your family in my prayers!
  6. Red80
    Red80 - January 16, 2014 3:46 pm
    I know the fam personally she work hard take care of those kids and have more than others with kids staying with there parents or in section 8 she has a great job bad house nice car kids are dress nice and she had all of this for as long as I can remember the kids couldn't ask for a better mom. I know he didn't hit you and nevergiveup don't know what my cousin Marcus did to you but he not leaving his wife and kids. If you know them on a personal note you know the truth about the misunderstanding
  7. nevergiveup
    nevergiveup - January 16, 2014 10:53 am
    Amen, finally someone understands. Thank you.
  8. cgirl
    cgirl - January 16, 2014 9:44 am
    Those poor children will not know what the TRUTH is or how to tell the TRUTH because they are being taught that the Truth is a LIE.
  9. 803803803
    803803803 - January 15, 2014 6:20 pm
    @gatorgirl nah we cool its just ur jokes they are wacky u just need to improve them!
  10. nevergiveup
    nevergiveup - January 15, 2014 6:06 pm
    Chapter One was good. When will you have chapter two ready? Will you put an epuloge before chapter one telling everybody how Marcus and I met? I like "It was a dark and stormy night!" I don't have any kids but I want to have a child by you.....hopefully his IQ will be well above your 70 IQ. Even though you're mean to me and not the brightest crayon in the box I still love you. XOXOXO
  11. GatorGirl
    GatorGirl - January 15, 2014 5:58 pm
    803803803- You seem to take a personal interest in my comment to the point of trying to insult me. That wasn't your relatives who all but gave their money away, was it? Or maybe you were one of the crooked white crackers involved in the scam. Obviously not the one who grabbed the money & ran. What, were you left empty-handed?
  12. MrKnowItAll
    MrKnowItAll - January 15, 2014 2:48 pm
    Nevergiveup my child, you are the true epitome of fool up and foolery. I find it quite intriguing that you would mask the reality of your hurt, pain, and insecurities of your pitiful little lifestyle on a blog depicting your shameful love affair which somehow went bad, to accuse me of Mr. Singleton is degrading since one of your kids could very well be mine. Government housing I presume? It behooves you to get a life and stay away from social media it looks like he didn't leave his wife u lose!
  13. nevergiveup
    nevergiveup - January 15, 2014 5:41 am
    P.S. I have given it much thought and I've fallen madly in love with you Mr. Knowitall! XOXO I will leave Marcus for you ASAP my love. =D
  14. nevergiveup
    nevergiveup - January 15, 2014 5:31 am
    Ah, you are living proof that God has a sense of humor and to never underestimate the power of stupid ppl. Humor me some more while I fix my coffee. I'm interested to see how the rest of my life with my true love turns out..does Marcus get me pregnant? Do we marry and drive off into the sunsets every day? Oh, oh, do we move or remain in Orangeburg? Do we get shared custody of his kids? Well?
  15. 803803803
    803803803 - January 15, 2014 2:02 am
    @gatorgirl ur just wack no lol for u only a smh for u
  16. GatorGirl
    GatorGirl - January 14, 2014 11:12 pm
    So, are you saying that your 3 precious children are lying? Lady, they thought you were dead. How do think they felt? They loved you enough to try to help you. You were their first priority. Too bad they're not your first priority.
  17. GatorGirl
    GatorGirl - January 14, 2014 11:04 pm
    Wonder which one of the white males running in multiple directions had the $10,000.00 in his hand? He's probably still running.
  18. MrKnowItAll
    MrKnowItAll - January 14, 2014 11:02 pm
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that for someone to go in as hard as nevergiveup did knows Marcus Singleton really well and has a personal vendetta against him. It's apparent that while she is trying to humiliate him he has obviously made her very mad do I smell a secret love affair? Thing is while the love was so strong for you it was a hit and run for him and you need to get back. While exposing him you revealed yourself. I'm a genius no one figured you out, I did. shame on U.
  19. 803803803
    803803803 - January 14, 2014 9:44 pm
    @truthorjustice lol lol very true!
  20. nevergiveup
    nevergiveup - January 14, 2014 6:02 pm
    The kids are being made out to be liars by mom. Why did the kids lie? They surely know what their father looks like and IF what you say is true it's time to get a lawyer and sue the T&D for such a grievous mistake. If all of this is baseless lies via the media I would be raising h*** to get my/husband's face and name off this website. SMH
  21. Sr Duke
    Sr Duke - January 14, 2014 2:56 pm
    It is sad when others take little things and run with them the media isn't always right but its something to have others on the outside looking in tell you your business. Every battered women isn't afraid and I'm certain that Shanta isn't afraid, and as for Marcus he is a lot of things but I can proudly say that this was a total misunderstanding. And for someone to question someone else's parenting skills no one has yet to master that one Stop hiding behind code names and say what you want 2 say
  22. nevergiveup
    nevergiveup - January 14, 2014 2:26 pm
    So your children and the police are liars...hmmm. Typical battered woman syndrome.
  23. truthorjustice
    truthorjustice - January 14, 2014 12:20 pm
    And, the couple who gave the 10,000.oo away. I believe we can sell them some land in the Atlantic Ocean.
  24. Shanta Singleton
    Shanta Singleton - January 14, 2014 10:52 am
    First and foremost I am the suppose to be victim people are on the outside looking in and there is no truth to this. I have came a long way and being a mother is my first priority and at the time of the incident my husband wasn't there and didn't hit me also have witness placing him somewhere else at the time this supposly occurred this is falsification info and for those that have something negative to say about my husband or us being parents not God so don't judge me or b4 u do get your facts
  25. 803803803
    803803803 - January 14, 2014 6:13 am
    in the last story the man's girlfriend and other man set the guy up for the money, they knew he had money on them all along
  26. nevergiveup
    nevergiveup - January 14, 2014 6:09 am
    Covering up for Marcus. I hope that DSS investigates this though it's very unlikely...b/c 2yrs ago I called them about a 104 year old woman walking down the street in 105 degree heat index. They said if she was lucid they couldn't do anything. I don't call being wrapped up in 105 degree weather looking for your home in Alabama lucid. It took her falling down and getting hurt for DSS to finally get off their sorry butt's to do something. We need to pray for these kids.
  27. nevergiveup
    nevergiveup - January 14, 2014 5:57 am
    Marcus Singleton you are worthless excuse for a man. I'm sure that your birth certificate is an apology letter from the Trojan condom company. Mom, you have three very smart children. Obviously they don't get their intelligence from you or Marcus. I'm thankful that God blessed these children with intelligence b/c they are going to need it being around you two stellar parents. One mom in North, SC is aching to hold her son again while you are putting your 3 children in harms way by covering up
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick