A Summerville man accused of killing someone during a heated argument in Vance has entered a guilty plea to voluntary manslaughter.
Demetrius Perry’s plea Tuesday was tied with the fatal shooting of 51-year-old Silas Williams, who died after being shot once in the pelvic area with a shotgun.
Circuit Court Judge Ed Dickson sentenced Perry to 15 years in prison.
Authorities were called to Williams’ Peach Shed Road residence in Vance just before 11 p.m. on Jan. 26. The initial word was that someone had been shot.
Officers arrived to find Williams face down on the ground, suffering from a gunshot wound. He died on the way to the hospital, authorities say.
An autopsy later confirmed he had been shot in the hip area.
Authorities are still uncertain as to what caused the two men to argue to the point of violence.
Perry, 34, was originally charged with murder. However, authorities said there was evidence that the two had argued violently before, with Perry being physically threatened.
A 50-year-old woman accused of helping the Summerville man leave the area after the shooting was also charged. Her case is still pending after a preliminary hearing was held in June.
In other cases:
* Krystal Hutto, 25, of 7050 Old State Road, Holly Hill, pleaded guilty to failure to stop for a blue light involving great bodily harm. She was sentenced to six years, suspended to time served and one year of house arrest as well as three years of probation. Hutto was also ordered to complete a drug rehabilitation program in Charleston.
According to warrants against her, Hutto refused to stop for a Holly Hill police officer on May 24. Cpl. Henry Daugherty attempted to stop Hutto, but wound up on Interstate 26 in a chase that caused the officer “to wreck his patrol car causing great bodily harm,” according to the warrant.
* Michael Washington, 49, of 3781 Homestead Road, Bowman, pleaded guilty to one count each of third-degree burglary and third-degree arson. He was sentenced to two years in prison on each to be served concurrently. According to an affidavit, he broke into a woman’s shed and set it on fire.
* Rayshawn Hall, 25, of 140 Hickory Springs Road, Eutawville, pleaded guilty to reckless driving and was sentenced to eight days in the county jail.
* Booker Clemons, 59, of 353 Iva Road, North, pleaded guilty to use of vehicle without permission and was sentenced to time served.
* Brandon Black, 21, of 4620 Neeses Highway, Neeses, pleaded guilty to second-degree assault and battery and was sentenced to two years, suspended to six months of probation.
* Vanity Grant, 27, of 1067 Dempsey Court, Orangeburg, pleaded guilty to possession of methamphetamine or cocaine base and was sentenced to two years, suspended to two years of probation.
* Scarlett Syfrett, 51, of 1209 Delmas St., Orangeburg, pleaded guilty to possession of other controlled substances and was sentenced to nine months of probation.
* Contact the writer: email@example.com or 803-533-5516.