COLUMBIA -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency has amended its disaster declaration for the recent flooding in order to make survivors in Bamberg, Colleton and Greenwood counties eligible for Individual Assistance.

Survivors who sustained losses in the designated counties can apply for assistance by registering online at or by calling 800-621-3362. Disaster assistance applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing should call 800-462-7585 (TTY); those who use Video Relay Service may call 800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week until further notice.

Assistance can include money for temporary rental assistance and essential home repairs for primary homes, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses and other programs to help survivors recover from the effects of the disaster.

Berkeley, Calhoun, Charleston, Clarendon, Darlington, Dorchester, Florence, Georgetown, Horry, Kershaw, Lee, Lexington, Orangeburg, Richland, Sumter and Williamsburg counties were previously designated for Individual Assistance.

Disaster recovery centers open; one in Holly Hill

Five disaster recovery centers are open in Orangeburg, Clarendon, Sumter and Lexington/Richland counties to help South Carolina flood survivors. The centers are open 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. seven days a week.

Representatives from the South Carolina Emergency Management Division, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the Small Business Administration and other agencies will be at the centers to explain disaster assistance programs and help survivors apply for aid.

The disaster recovery centers are located at the following addresses:

Orangeburg County -- Government Complex, 8423 Old State Road, Holly Hill.

Clarendon County -- Weldon Auditorium, 7 Maple St., Manning.

Sumter County -- Sumter County Civic Center, 700 W. Liberty St., Sumter.

Lexington County -- Main Library, 5440 Augusta Road, Lexington.

Lexington/Richland counties -- Irmo Branch Library, 6251 St. Andrews Road.

Before going to a disaster recovery center, people with flooding losses should register with FEMA if possible. They can go online to or call 800-621-3362.


Load comments