A new American LaFrance pumper truck was purchased for the Orangeburg Fire Department in 1954. This pumper truck had the capability of pumping 750 gallons per minute. It was delivered to Orangeburg in a railroad car via the Southern Railway. The firemen had to build a ramp to be able to unload this new pumper, and the driver who had to carefully navigate this narrow ramp was Virgil Westbury. Trinity Methodist Church on Boulevard is in the background of this picture.