ORANGEBURG OUT OF THE PAST

Orangeburg Firemen, circa 1954: The City of Orangeburg has provided the fire service for Orangeburg since 1920, when it took over the local fire service from all the volunteer fire departments. This picture shows the members of the Orangeburg Fire Department around 1954. From left to right are, first row, Ted Johnson, Charlie Irick, Chief Clarence Fischer, Virgil Westbury, and Assistant Chief Ben Antley. Second row from left are Bell Donald, Walter Zeigler, John W. Robinson, and Paul Fersner. Third row, from left, are David Gillam, B.O. Smoak, Will Stroman, and Bob Sharpton. Fourth row: Tom Smoak.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.