ORANGEBURG OUT OF THE PAST

Sheridan School, c. 1940: The Sheridan School, known originally as the “New Graded School,” was built on Ellis Avenue in 1905 for the students in the northern area of town. Unfortunately it was destroyed by fire on a very cold night on January 15, 1946. Today the administrative building for Orangeburg Consolidated School District 5 is located on that site. Picture courtesy of the Orangeburg County Historical Society and provided by Dr. Gene Atkinson.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.