To get from one place to another you must travel. Whether you call it a road, highway, path or whatever, there must be a route. Not following the right road will cause us to end up somewhere we did not want to go. In New Testament times, it is said that all roads led to Rome. The Roman government controlled much of the known world by its conquering armies.
One must travel the correct road, or the journey will be in vain. All humans were indwelled to desire God. We will have some god, whatever we call it. We will and do worship something -- money, travel, family, etc.
While at Mars Hill in Athens, Paul saw many idols. All the known gods were represented and in order not to miss any, they had one labeled: To the Unknown God. Paul told them about the unknown god, Jesus Christ, the Son of the Loving and living God. (Acts 17:23)
The apostle Paul gives us directions to God, and I call it the Roman Road. He tells us:
- Romans 1:16 (KJV) -- 16) "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek." Paul tells us that there is a way to God and he is not ashamed, for it is God’s power that brings into a right relation with Himself. Paul calls this power Gospel.
- Romans 3:23 (KJV) -- 23) "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." Paul emphasizes that we all are sinners; no one is excused. Isaiah said all our righteous act are like filthy rags; it is our nature to sin.
- Romans 6:23 (KJV) -- 23) "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." The life we live will receive a paycheck. For the sinner it is death, not just ceasing to live, but eternal death.
- Romans 10:9 (KJV) -- 9) "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." Here Paul gives us directions like a road map. We must confess that Jesus is LORD of our life and that we will believe and follow Him as the Bible directs. Jesus Himself said He was the ONLY way to be right with God.
- Romans 5:8 (KJV) -- 8) "But God commendeth his love toward us in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Here we see that it was Jesus, the Son of God, who died on Calvary’s cross to pay for our sins. He loved us enough to give His all that we might be made right with God.
My dear friends, as you read this, please truly consider your life. We were all born to die and enter eternity. Where is determined by our decisions while on earth. Read your Bible for it is: Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth.