BRANCHVILLE - "All aboarrrrd!"
The town of Branchville is on track and on time to celebrate its 43rd annual Raylrode Daze Festivul, which will officially start this Sunday, Sept. 18, with its "Kick-Off Sunday."
Raylrode Daze Festivul Chairman Tom Jennings says he's "hoping people are making plans to be with us as we celebrate Branchville as having the world's oldest railroad junction."
Activities for the "festivul" will take place throughout next week as the celebration moves full steam ahead with loads of fun Sept. 23-25.
At 2 p.m. Sunday, the welcome center opens and Cal Smoak Special Rides will start.
Other activities Sunday include performances by the Branchville Christian Church Band, a coal-shoveling contest, and performances by the Edisto Cloggers and the Can-Can Girls.
A gunfight will get under way at 5 p.m., followed by an interdenominational church service at 5:30 p.m. led by Pastor Adrian Haigler with the Crestview Baptist Church and choir.
Events scheduled for next week, Sept. 19-25, include:
- Monday - Pet show, registration at 6 p.m.; show at 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday - Talent show, registration at 6 p.m.; show at 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday - Zumba with Brandi at 6 p.m. in Branch Junction (no registration required); bingo at 7 p.m. in Branch Junction.
- Thursday - DJ Hank McCullum will entertain at 6 p.m.; Family Night at the Carnival and Cal Smoak Special Rides begin at 7 p.m.; judging of merchant store windows will take place at 7:30 p.m. (to enter this contest, contact Jennings at 803-274-8831 or 803-274-8876).
- Friday - Opening ceremonies and associated activities will start in front of the depot at noon. Rides, gunfights, dancers and the like will begin at 2 p.m.
- Saturday - Parade line-up starts at 9:30 a.m., and the parade gets under way at 11 a.m. Some of the activities scheduled include spike-driving contests, a womanless beauty contest, gunfights, kangaroo court, street dances and bands.
- Sunday - Church services at 11 a.m.; more gunfights, competitions and music will take place throughout the afternoon, with closing ceremonies at 5:30 p.m.
For more information about the Raylrode Daze Festivul, visit raylrodedazefestivul.com.
Contact the writer: firstname.lastname@example.org.