Holly Hill residents Maegan and Warren Wiles Jr. and their 2-year-old son were completely covered in insulation, sheet rock and pieces of wood when a tree smashed on their home around 3 a.m. Monday morning.

Maegan, her husband and two children were sleeping when the incident occurred at their Carolina Avenue home.

“I was scared to death. I was covered in something. We woke up out of a deep sleep. My husband was the one that told me it was a tree,” she said.

Warren Wiles had to dig their 2-year-old son out of the debris. None of them were seriously injured.

The electricity was instantly knocked out when the tree struck their home. Wiles and her husband grabbed their children and headed to their living room.

“We thought we smelled smoke. We grabbed our kids, hurried and got in my truck and headed to the neighbor’s house,” she said.

The Wiles later went back to their home to grab clothes for the children and themselves in complete darkness.

Their neighbor and Holly Hill Police Chief Josh Detter made some phone calls.

Nearby churches, Holly Hill First Baptist Church and Holly Hill First Pentecostal Holiness Church, came to help the Wiles remove the tree from their home.

The tree has been removed and roof is now wrapped.

“A good group of people helped to get everything down while it was still pouring rain,” Maegan said.

People who saw Facebook posts about the Wiles’ home also came to help with whatever they could.

“There were people that I’ve never even met before that helped us. I’m very thankful for those people that have helped us and very thankful for the people that are helping us,” she said.

The Wiles are currently without a home.

“My mother came and got my children. Me and my husband have kind of been bouncing houses trying to stay close to the house,” Maegan said.

They have insurance for their home. FEMA has been out to view the damage. They are currently waiting to be approved for assistance.

Although the tree may have destroyed the Wiles’ home, it did not destroy Maegan’s positivity.

“I thank God that my children and I were safe. I thought it was a blessing none of us were harmed and the amount of people that helped while the storm was still happening,” she said.

Contact the writer: princess.williams@timesanddemocrat.com or (803) 533-5516